Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
My name is Leonard and I just joined the group. I am trying to help a friend who owns a '91 Aspencade with a technical issue. He is about to leave on a trip riding the bike from Cali back to Maryland. Yesterday, after I picked him up from the airport and on the drive home, the bike started making an unusual sound. When decelerating, especially in 1st gear, the bike makes a 'rattling/rubbing' metallic sound. The sound becomes less pronounced when decelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears but is still there. The bike only makes this sound when decelerating in gear, no sound when accelerating or when bike is idling. The bike has 84K miles on it, is in excellent condition and has always been maintained at the mfr's specified intervals. Records from previous owner indicate the cam belt/chain was replaced at 65K miles.

Oh, one other mechanical issue has also surfaced yesterday: Whereas the bike always went into reverse easily before, it now requires a lot of effort to pull the reverse handle up and engage it. Could these problems be associated?

I've been riding for over 50 years but have very little experience with G/W's. My first guess would be a cam chain adjustment, just based on the type of sound and where it appears to originate from. Any and all feedback would be most appreciated. TIA
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum leonardthefast! :waving:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello Leonard and Welcome . The GL1500 has timing belts rather than a chain system . If they were changed at 65K they should be no problem . the belt idlers can make a whinning if the belts are under to much tension . I dont think your problem is in that area .

The reverse lever uses a set of push pul cables to engage a gear . Reverse is actually acomplised by use of the starter motor . Its possible that the cables have become stiff/rusty? They can be seen on the right hand side of the bike . Remove the RH side cover below the seat , then remove the RH side cover above the operator foot rest . The cable both attach there . The pivot point could be sticky as wel las the pivot on the handle side .

As to the noise is it possible that its coming more from the rear of bike ? The drive shaft and wheel drive flange have splines as well as the drive shaft . All thses spline jopints require lubrication with HONDA PRO MOLY 60 Paste . Without lube the splines will wear out . near the end of life they can slip .

If you will post your question in the "Tech" section ( or perhaps ask a moderator to move it ) you will have a lot more response.

Best of luck in solving your friends problem.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response, it is appreciated. I'm not sure how to get the post transferred to another thread. Is it possible you might be able to explain how to do this? TIA
Cheers,
Leonard

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome leonardthefast[/align]

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Do a search for driveline vibration or noise...I dealt with an issue a few years ago. I greased all the splines in the rear end and on the ujoint. Solved my issue. Doing a search can give you tons of info. Welcome to the group. Over the years I've gotten all the help I've ever needed here. Great group.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.