Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much play is "normal" in the shift lever? I just finished doing my timing belts and discovered that the shift lever shaft is what I would call a little wobbly. There is an inner nut right next to the case and an outer one that holds the shift lever on and they are both tight. Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
The 1500 has a two piece shifter shaft . One shaft exits the case and has a splined end . This shift shaft is behind a header pipe . So they use an offset shaft to clear the header .
The first shaft does normally have some looseness in the case bore . Its possible that your offset/extension shaft is loose on its spline fitting . Make sure that bolt is tight .

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
1500 shift lever

Normal slop on the 1500. Check that the seal is not working itself out of the engine case.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks on these replies. I did check the seal and looked fine, a slight amount of oil residue, nothing excessive and the seal looked secure. I didn't realize they were two piece so I will just keep an eye on the "slop". The bolt on the inside appeared to be fairly tight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.