Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

hello,

the hand book for the 86 aspy, has normal temp at between 2 bars and 8.

mine runs normallly, at 3 bars, rises to 4 depending on day, and cuts in the fan at 5 bars.

cheers,

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

After reading various threads about temperature readout and engine temperature I decided to install an aftermarket electrical gauge and sensor.
The gauge reads in the 190deg range most of the time while riding, of course stop and go traffic will put it in the 210 range and the fan kicks in and out.
External weather conditions do have an effect on the temperature.

When I read about temperatures not going past three or four bars make me suspect a faulty sensor.
The fan should not kick in until the temperature reads in the 8+ bar range (Aspy)
Even though the gauge is reading low as long as the fan circuit is working there will not be a problem.

The reason I changed the gauge was after a head gasket had gone and boiled the coolant, yet the temperature was reading 3 bars.. I knew something was amiss, yes the fan was working at the time, and the bike was idling in a parking lot.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

My experience with temperature variablity was due to a bad water pump. The pump was bad when I got the bike last fall, I just didn't know it until water showed up in the oil. The temp then (84 aspy) would run at 7 - 8 bars, no matter what. After changing out the pump it runs mostly at 4-5 bars, 5-6 bars at 90 degF ambient, 80mph on the interstate. Fan comes on just before 6 bars and while sitting at idle temp will stay between 5-6 bars with fan cycling on/off. I'm thinking of doing the same as Tricky and putting a sensor and gauge on it so I'll know the actual temperature.
Jim(inSC)

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
imported post

53jimc wrote:
My experience with temperature variablity was due to a bad water pump. The pump was bad when I got the bike last fall, I just didn't know it until water showed up in the oil. The temp then (84 aspy) would run at 7 - 8 bars, no matter what. After changing out the pump it runs mostly at 4-5 bars, 5-6 bars at 90 degF ambient, 80mph on the interstate. Fan comes on just before 6 bars and while sitting at idle temp will stay between 5-6 bars with fan cycling on/off. I'm thinking of doing the same as Tricky and putting a sensor and gauge on it so I'll know the actual temperature.
Jim(inSC)
This is exactly the range my 85 ASPY runs in....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.