Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Noticed that my digital gauge shows 5 bars when cruising. When stopped at a light it creeps up to six and the fan kicks on.

Just wondering what the rest of you GL1200 owners show as normal operating temp and if I should inspect the thermostat or just leave it alone?

Based on my history of excellent mechanical skill, "leave it alone" would be the preferred option. :D

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
imported post

about 2/3 of the way at worst.
sitting at a light mabey one bar higher.
yours sounds about right :)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Thats what mine has been running since it has started to heat up a bit around here.

I think you should stick with your "preferred option".:cool: :cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
I think you should stick with your "preferred option".:cool: :cooldevil::cooldevil:
Now why did I think that was what you were gonna say!:dude::D:cheeky1::action:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

:baffled:'don't know...just came to mind!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

:toast: To sticking to your "project", not giving up and getting it done!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks Night....for the support, the ribbing, and the advice. BTW...was raised in Orange Beach/Gulf Shores, AL. Mom still lives in Foley. But....it's not Roll Tide or War Eagle...it's....Go Dawgs....woof woof woof ;)

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

Xtracho wrote:
it's not Roll Tide or War Eagle...it's....Go Dawgs....woof woof woof ;)
:(Boy I just lost alot of respect on that one! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I've got to get down to PC, I have a cousin that lives down there that I haven't seen in several years. Lives off Alabama in a store that he and his wife converted toa house. Plus there is a little hole in the wall seafood place close to him that is fantastic, I wish I could remember the name of the place.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

My LTD will run between 4-6 bars.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Mine never gets higher than 4 bars............

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

duh.....

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I have an after market gauge and sending unit, the bike runs about 195 deg when on the open road in hot weather, a tad lower in cooler weather.
In stop and go traffic and I switch on the fan (manual switch) the temp stays about that temp or a tad less.

When the fan kicks in the temperature gauge should be reading about 8 bars then drop down to 7 and then kicks out. This under static conditions in a garage.

If the gauge is reading lower than that then the sending unit is faulty.

The things are all over the clock, some read 3 some 4 some 5 or 6
Mine was reading 6-7 under hot conditions.
As long as the fan is switching on and off then the system is working.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Mine runs 4 bars sometimes, more frequently 5 bars. The only time I have seen six or more bars is when the rad was low. I have over 10,000 miles on it, and have heard the fan come on once.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Thanks all....it appears that the consensus is that anywhere between 4-6 bars is OK and as long as the fan is cycling then all is well.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I've had a few Aspencades and an LTD. That sounds correct to me. If *I* were Honda I would have made "Normal" more like 3 bars instead of 6, to give more "headroom" for overheating condition monitoring.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Rusty, I can agree with that....when I hit 6 bars while at a light I start getting a little antsy.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Mine runs 4 bars most of the time, gets to 5 when it gets really hot outside. On the interstate at 80mph it'll go between 5 and 6 bars. Idling, even when it's hot in town it will go between 5 and 6 bars. Fan comes on just befor 6 bars show up. 84 aspy. Yours sounds normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.