Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On what was a glorious day Yesterday 12 Wings from the N Ireland Club went on a rideout along the Antrim Coast over Torr Head to Ballycastle. Around midday we were in the usual line of slow moving traffic when two young bikers filtered past us at a gentle moderate speed. They both nodded and said hello as they passed by heading for Carnlough. They were on sports bikes wearing all the correct leathers etc. Our group stopped at Carnlough to collect a local club member and whilst there police and ambulances raced by. We then learned the tragic news that both bikers had been killed in a collision with a car just over a mile on the other side of Carnlough. Our hearts go out to the family of the two brothers killed in this tragic accident. News reports stated that their parents where in the queue of traffic and came on the scene shortly after it happened. It reminds us all once again of just how dangerous it is out there. :(

Ride Safe and never ignore the benefits of proper training.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

Well said littlejohn,

We had a great turn out yesterday for our nenagh /lake run,.46 goldwings in all ,But after the run I got reports of a couple of wingers on the run thinking they were on the isle of man tt course,unfortunatly I was up the front and did not see what was going on at the back ,,But we will find these wingers and give them a warning ,if they insist on racing they can find some other group to ride out with ,,on our runs safty is paramount ,,and it will not be comprimised by idiots trying to catch up with their friends ...ride safe and stay safe ..Ciaran Meyler
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
On what was a glorious day Yesterday 12 Wings from the N Ireland Club went on a rideout along the Antrim Coast over Torr Head to Ballycastle. Around midday we were in the usual line of slow moving traffic when two young bikers filtered past us at a gentle moderate speed. They both nodded and said hello as they passed by heading for Carnlough. They were on sports bikes wearing all the correct leathers etc. Our group stopped at Carnlough to collect a local club member and whilst there police and ambulances raced by. We then learned the tragic news that both bikers had been killed in a collision with a car just over a mile on the other side of Carnlough. Our hearts go out to the family of the two brothers killed in this tragic accident. News reports stated that their parents where in the queue of traffic and came on the scene shortly after it happened. It reminds us all once again of just how dangerous it is out there. :(

Ride Safe and never ignore the benefits of proper training.
I am extremely sorry when I read posts like this. My deepest sympathy goes to their family. I could write a book on the behaviour of motorcyclists on our roads, north and south of the border. When will people grow up and cop on. I am one of the big preachers on training, training, training. But always remember,evenwith all the training you get, there is no match for "EXPERIENCE"
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Well said littlejohn,

We had a great turn out yesterday for our nenagh /lake run,.46 goldwings in all ,But after the run I got reports of a couple of wingers on the run thinking they were on the isle of man tt course,unfortunatly I was up the front and did not see what was going on at the back ,,But we will find these wingers and give them a warning ,if they insist on racing they can find some other group to ride out with ,,on our runs safty is paramount ,,and it will not be comprimised by idiots trying to catch up with their friends ...ride safe and stay safe ..Ciaran Meyler
This is the kind of stuff I like to read. When I joined the goldwing club many years ago this was one of the things that I liked about riding a goldwing. There appeared to be great emphasis on road safety. I have the habit of riding at the rear of a group just to watch the behaviour of the riders in front of me, and to this day I have never seen anyone do anything wrong. wexman if I was in your position there would not be any second chance, these people would be told they were not welcome on any of these runs. You dont get a second chance when riding a motorcycle. The people who ride a Goldwing are normally very well respected on our roads, so lets keep that good name. I dont want this to sound like a lecture, but road safety is paramount.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I would not wish in any way to proportion blame in this tragic accident not having witnessed it personally but I have spoken to the investigating officer and I am dismayedby his reports. It would appear from witnesses in the traffic heading along the coast, that the two young riders filtered past the Goldwing Party very sensibly but on the other side of Carnlough witnesses report them travelling at excessive speed and overtaking vehicles on a blind bend.

Maybe I am wrong but I feel that there is a tendancy amongst some sports bike riders to look at Wing Riders as old men riding on armchairs and it isn't the first time my wife has been scared out of her wits by a biker buzzing past flat out, missing our Wing by the narrowest of margins. Some of them think it is humerous to burn up the rider on a Wing. Me I prefer to ride at a sensible speed, taking in the views, as life will pass you by quick enough, so I try to hang onto mine for as long as possible. Maybe I am just unlucky but this is my second rideout since the NW200 where a biker has been killed. My wife and I actually witnessed the Scottish Gentleman coming off and losing his life on the way to the NW200 races. What we witnessed outside Limavady made my wife physically sick and I pray I don't see it again.

Ride safe everyone and remember there is no substitute for good training.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
wexman wrote:
Well said littlejohn,

We had a great turn out yesterday for our nenagh /lake run,.46 goldwings in all ,But after the run I got reports of a couple of wingers on the run thinking they were on the isle of man tt course,unfortunatly I was up the front and did not see what was going on at the back ,,But we will find these wingers and give them a warning ,if they insist on racing they can find some other group to ride out with ,,on our runs safty is paramount ,,and it will not be comprimised by idiots trying to catch up with their friends ...ride safe and stay safe ..Ciaran Meyler
wexman, Just curious as regards the two people who were acting the cowboy on the Nenagh run. Have they been cautioned about their future behaviour,? will they be on the run to the Giants Causeway.? :cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi ,no they wont be on the causeway run,I think they read the messag board and got the message loud and clear ,,but they are welcome to come on the next run ,,,it was just a moment of forgetfulness on their part and we will see if they behave in the future ,,, hope to see you on the causeway run..cheers Ciaran
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top