Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a generator. Well I borrowed it from the mother in law. Anyway it had been sitting for five years...I think even more but I was told five.

The carb was plugged up so I took it off got into it and cleaned it out (was surprised to find that it was a Mikuni carb). Anyway it runs now but...only with the choke on even after running for over a half hour so it should have been plenty warmed up, and the automatic throttle control doesn't seem to be working. Which isn't a big deal cause I can manually set the throttle so it runs just fast enough to provide the power I need. However the fact that it won't run without the choke bugs me.

Any suggestions?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

i have to ask have you changed the gas and if so you still have a jet blocked it needs the choke because its still starvedof gas

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

Yep, just like agnogel said, it still has a jet plugged up. It needs to have the governor working so the frequency will be right, you can't guess at it.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Seafoam it!! And like they said, check for a jet still clogged.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I did change the gas...tha goo that was still in it was the color of very dark whiskey. The carb seemed to have only one jet and that one is clean. I guess I'll pull it off again tomorrow and go at it again. I did add a big dose of seafoam to the new gas.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Had the same problem with a generator I bought. Had to clean the carb a few times before it worked. The jet was hard to get clean. Used a small piece of wire to get all the holes open. Seafoam did the trick!;)

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Broke (and anyone else that messes with carbs much).

Hit the local welding supply store and pick up aWYPO tip cleaner. They have a assortment of cleaning rods that are like small round files and are perfect for cleaning jets and small passages in the carb, Best tool for the money (2or3 bucks I think) you can buy if you do much carb work.

http://www.wypo.com/

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

May not be the carb, could be the fuel line and/or fuel filter blocking the fuel flow. The choke will restrict the intake air and help keep the reduced fuel flow to a burnable mixture. When you remove the choke the increase of air will make the mixture too lean to burn. It could be the carb but I'd suspect the pick up tube in the tank, fuel line or fuel filter. Take the fuel line off the carb and make sure it flows freely.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Fuel flows pretty freely. I pulled the line off the carb to drain the old gas from the tank.

I'll look into those cleaning tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.