Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am riding a 81 1100 interstate...... took a road trip to see my mom this weekend.. just over 300 miles each way.. Ducked and dodged rain clouds all the way down and all the way home.. anyway on with the questoin.. When we got to the town my mom lives in we was riding and heard a sound.. i couldnt figure out what it was but sounded like coming from the back end of the bike.. I could also feel something in the back brake when i was breakin when i heard the sound... I looked all over the bike and coudlnt find anything.. took it for a ride a little while later and heard nothing....... next day we took off for a ride on it.. and for the first little bit heard nothing.. then later we heard it again.. This sound we hear we only seem to hear it at a lower rate of speed.. 30 mph or so... get over that dont hear it.. not sure if that is because of other noises or what... anyway.. riding home today heard it again... Had the little woman on the back.. and she made the commet it sounded like her car did several years ago when the U joint went out of it.. after she said that yep i could hear that sound with a u joint...... We stopped and done some shopping at a town about 35 miles from my house... killed a couple of hours.. got on the bike rode home hearing the sound again when we get home.. when i shut the bike off.. i reached up in the back and fealt the final drive.. the lower half of the drive was warm.. top half was alot hotter.. can this sound be something in the final drive??? maybe needing to add fluid to the drive?? also what do you guys use for fluid in the drive???????? not sure what else this could be.. hoping someone here can give me some idea.. Thanks

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I'd:

• Put her up on the center stand
  • Check the rear differential (I use SAE 90)
  • Put her in gear
  • Sit down next to the swing arm (shaft side) & rock it back & forth a bit.
  • You can pull the drive shaft boot at the back of the motor out of the way, & feel the u-joint.
  • Check for play in the coupling (shaft to dif). It may need to be greased as well (these get neglected a lot).
  • Pull rear wheel, & check final drive flange on the wheel, & ring gear for excessive wear.
Well, there's a couple of things to check.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

Hi,

What sort of sound is it? Is it a groan, a click, a whirr, a whine? My bike (83 1100) started making a groaning sound at low speeds, just every now and then, after rebuilding the rear brake. In my case, it was just the pads "bedding in", I believe they call it. That and I don't remember exactly how much anti-squeal I put on the rear caliper.

I have had to change out the final drive oil on mine four times now. Here's the story: When I first bought it, she had sat idle for the last12 or 15 years. I went to change the final drive oil, and found that it was apparently empty! Or so I thought. I tried to put oil in (hypoid gear oil, 90 weight), but she would take any, and none of the new stuff came out of the drain hole. So, I removed the top venting assembly, still nothing. I actually took a long plastic rod, stuck it in the drain hole, and manually pulled a thick black goo from the drive. I did this for about 40 minutes, put some new oil in and drove about 20 miles to get the drive good and warm. Once I got home, it drained a lot easier, but was still jet black. I've filled and drained two more times, and I have one more to go. I'm actually going to put some MMO in it, drive it around, and then drain again.

I also lubed the drive splines and u-joint junction with Moly 60 grease. It sure rolls a lot easier than when I first bought it.

Anyway, let's hear more about this sound.

Jack

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Its more of a clicking sound then anything i would say.. like i said sounds like a u joint in a car going out..... I will check what has been posted here so far in the next day or so and see ifn i can find out what is going on.. hoping to find it fast and get it fixed... lol got alot more road trips planned soon..lmao

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi, a clicking sound could be a number of things. A loose needle bearing from the U-joint comes to mind only because I have heard that sound before. I must say that since you got home after a 600 mile two up ride, I would doubt that the U-joint is the culprit. They don't ususally last that long after they begin to break up. Pull the rear wheel and check the splines and damper pins.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Storminthba, Check to see if rear wheel is loose as that will give a similar sound. :leprechaun:

Clicking can be many things, but more than likely a u joint or lack of oil in the diff. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

on my '78 I had a clunking sound after warm up that came from the rear and could only "hear" at low speeds... stopped when I stopped... could NOT hear on the cnter stand...

long and short, after replacing rear end and drive shaft... turned out to be bad rear bearings... as they heated up the would start to seize and slip in the bearing hub.... spemt a lot of money on a real cheap fix

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

I concurr......Rear bearings sound like the culprit to me. Just ordered a set myself for my 82

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Okay i just put the scoot up on the center stand.. and yep betting your right betting it is the wheel bearings... i can hear the sound with the bike on the stand and the rear wheel dont look to be tracking straight...... okay just wondered if these bearings are something easy to find?? or are they a special bearing?? whats the odds i can find one local with out going to a honda dealer???????? any help with this?? anyone got the part numbers??? thanks ... hoping to track down bearings tomorrow and get it fixed..

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

The bearings are special, they are for a GoldWing. But besides that, they should be available just about everywhere except a dealer. (At least not the one I use) Once you get them out, get the bearing number off of each one, (left and right side are different) and a good auto parts store should be able to cross reference that number. If you want to wait a few days, they are available through many mail order houses. These part numbers are for JCW. Right Side AGQ019876T and the left side AGQ19875N.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

my uj failed on my 84 aspy and when it started, there was a loud clatter, and a significant "shutter" through the entire bike as it was happening. The effect of the uj rattling against the insides of the swingarm, causing the whole bike to shutter. Yours may or may not be failing, but if it gets as bad as mine, the above symptoms would be a sure fire indicator!

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Got my front bearings from a local place through a company called "All Balls Bearings" and they are great and make them for the rear also, don't know if they're on the internet, i would think so?!

they make alot of bearings for race bikes!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.