Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding motorcycles for 16 yrs. Goldwings for 15 yrs. Two nights ago I rode in the worse rainstorm ever on my way home from work at 10:30pm. I had my bright yellow Frogg Toggs on which kept me dry and the full face helmet did a good job too, but within a quarter mile of leaving in the moderate rainstorm(first time on this bike), while in 3rd gear and just getting ready to shift into 4th, (rpms up) I hit 18 inches deep (couldn't see but felt it)of water. At that same time a car to my left also hits it and showers me with the spray. Bike bogged way down but I kept rpms up because I didn't want to tip over. After about 30 ft I came out of it only to hit it again 20-40 feet later same scenario. Front end was like a snowplow pushing the water away as I rode through. Last night I paid more attention as to where the drains were and yep thats where the non flooded area was. Bike is running okay now but it messed up my sensors for my after market gages(oil pressure and temp). Voltmeter spiked and held at 18 volts for a good 6 miles before coming back down to normal range. I'm not sure alternator would go that high so I'll take it as faulty gage even though that wiring is high and dry. I was glad to have a fuel injected engine versus a carb as I'm not sure bike would have kept running.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Was riding on the Interstate once with the wife when it started to downpour. We slowed down and a semi passed us. After passing us an enormous sheet of water came off the semi trailers roof and we rode right into it. I rode on, blinded by the water for quite a distance.

Scott

·
Administrator
58,211 Posts
I have ridden through some extremely hard rains, but never had to wade through a deep amount of water like that.

The exception was back in the '70s when I was riding my Enduro bikes up in the Colorado streams "on purpose" to cross them.... lot of difference from a 250 cc Enduro bike to a big heavy street job like the Goldwings.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Similar thing happened to me this Fall but it was my TPMS light that came on and stayed on. I stopped and got down and checked the tires (laying in about an inch of water) and all was well. After it dried out, it never did it again. Nice going keeping your bike up and on the road!

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, next day my oil temp quit working(sender in drain plug) but come find out it was the plug loose on the back of the gage(coincidence?), then two minutes after plugging it in the oil pressure gage quit working. No display or anything. I checked today by swapping plugs to the other gages and it works so that rules out sender or wiring issues. The way I have gages mounted,(under the vent on the windshield which is closed)there was very little water getting on the face of the gages(by the way, back of gages stay dry no matter how hard it rains plus I cover the bike at work so no heat or rain gets to the bike and it is parked in the garage at home when not in use) I went online with glowshift and they said they aren't waterproof but send it back and they will see if it was a water issues or just a faulty gage. They are sending me a new one for now(I'm paying for it) and they will credit me if it was a faulty gage-less than 3 months old.
I like the blue display as it matches the paint perfect. Also, I did find out that max voltage on alternator is 18 which is what my gage said for about 6 miles before coming back down to normal 14+ volts. I think the regulator must have taken alot of water for that to happen.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Had To Chuckle!
YOUR adventure reminded me about our summer, 2012 incident. Wife/yours truly were heading north in late afternoon on I-91 in VT, when we felt sprinkles/saw them on shield. Quickly pulled over...we both put our Froggs Toggs TOPS ONLY on...BIG MISTAKE! Another mile up the road, we hit a solid grey MONSOON! Could NOT see more than a car's length ahead, were driving 35 mph w/4-way flashers on in outside lane, when semi passed us on left, going a LOT faster than we were...literally drowned us with large WAVE. We left super slab at very next exit...put rain suit pants on under highway overpass...a total waste of time! We pulled into pizza parlor, had something to eat and warm us up, then found very welcome motel up the road. After hanging WET clothes everywhere in our room, using hair dryer in our m/c boots [after dumping LOTS of water from them] it ACTUALLY started raining HARDER! It is an experience we've never had, before or since and will never forget it! TTFN.....Old Tom aka papasmurf in NH :)

·
Premium Member
3,490 Posts
Back in 2005 when my Comp-u-fire alternator died it was just after I had run through deep water flowing across the Blue Ridge Parkway, I noticed it on the AirRider Volt Meter. Some of the group went on after I told them to, a couple stayed with me and one couple had a car (due to a busted leg) and a few short jumps got me to the motel 75 miles later about an hour after the others. Swapped in someone else's spare they had in a trailer and later that week found my Comp-u-fire had suffered a open winding in a rotor winding .... I think likely a fractured solder connection due to sudden dousing with cold water. Easy fix anyway, been good ever since, local shop put a new rotor in it.

Just a few years ago we left a friends home where we all had gathered for pizza and ice cream and I ran into a down pour about 10 miles later and was going maybe 35 mph in a 45 zone when I ran through a slight dip with more water than I expected and the Trike's rear tires hydroplaned and while I was barely on the throttle, rpms picked up and the rear went out to the right a ways even as I countered with the handlebars. Talk about "puckering up" .... we both did. But she straightened up pretty quick before running out of the deep so no "hard snaps" ..... and we pulled off under a Southern States awning to wait.

Reminds me, I think I'm gonna put fresh tires on the rear of the Trike this winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.