Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago in April I had the forks rebuilt on my 2005 Gold Wing at the local Honda dealership. New bushings and seals. Over $300.00. Now both forks are leaking worse than before. Dealer says they are wear items, and I did put 9,200 miles on since having job done. Do the job myself if had the space. Bummed out. There is a nice looking 2004 Toyota Solara convertible near me for sale, 186K. miles, runs like new. No rust, good tires, everything works. $3,600.These Toyotas go for 300K miles easy? Right? .I`m thinking it could be a good trike alternative. Any comments?
gumbyred

·
Administrator
58,725 Posts
just me, but I would go for the Solara if you are not enjoying the bike anymore.
at 78, the thrill of the open road on my bike no longer holds any appeal, I am ready to get off of it in about an hour and put it away.

I find that I would rather drive my truck now, than ride the bike. it is air conditioned and more comfortable for me.

·
Administrator
25,328 Posts
I would almost bet they put the seals in upside down. They are wear items but should last 30,000 miles or more.

·
Registered
699 Posts
These Toyotas go for 300K miles easy? Right? .
Got 350,000 miles on my '85 Camry. The furthest the engine has ever been opened is to replace timing belt. It's still on the original clutch, too... Runs same now as when I bought it 30 yrs ago.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
894 Posts
Gumbyred, I have read many of your posts & Reply's in the past few years .. If you choose the Toyota Solara, I / we will understand completely, but Please don't leave this Goldwing forum.. We like you here!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
122k miles on my '06. Two rebuilds of the forks - one for Traxxion install, the other for scheduled Traxxion service (both at their Woodstock, GA headquarters). Never a fork leak (so far). One thing that may be helping, I mounted a GL1500 fork protector to the Kury fork brace with zip ties, which stops bug and road debris impact on the most sensetive area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts