Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My head unit went wonky.
As much as I'd love to fit a more modern unit, I would hate to lose the integration of the intercom and CB radio (even though I use neither :p ).
I found one on eBay, stumped up the cash and the first thing I did was open it up to fit a Bluetooth module.
This is what I found...

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer Electronic engineering
Circuit component Passive circuit component Audio equipment Hardware programmer Electronic component

Anyone know what this is?
I went to the website but couldn't find it listed so have no idea which wires I should be connecting too.

I've emailed them of course :cautious:

edit
Wow, they replied instantly! :oops:

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's how it was when I opened it - I'll be pulling the old one out next weekend to see what went wrong and see how it looks.
I suppose if the bike was kept inside there should be very little corrosion, the board is quite well protected from the environment buried inside the bike.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Opened up my 70'000m original and it's immaculate inside too 🤷‍♂️

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electronic component

Unfortunately, the new stereo hasn't cured the issues 😫
Tape deck still doesn't open and there's barely any volume.
(Yes, I checked the fuse box by the left pannier!)

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check is a stuck "Mute" button on the left handlebar. Mine stuck leaving me with very low volume with vol control to max, and it took a couple hours of fiddling with the switch and CRC electrical spray to unstick it. I haven't touched that button since.
Yep, had that problem a few years ago and solved it in the exact same way!
Cruise-on button is iffy (I just don't turn it off), cruise "Resume" is also iffy, works but have to push it 3 or 4 times before it does anything
Same again! Check the switch connected to the rear brake - I found that was my problem with 'Resume'.

If your mute switch isn't the low volume culprit, next place I'd look would be the speakers themselves, or wiring to them, or fader control if you have rear speakers.
They're all fine

As to cassette door not opening, hard to say. If you can get the door to open once, check for any resistance or friction while carefully closing it. Might be something slightly out-of-line and rubbing on the door.......
As the problems are the same on both cassette units, I think there's a fault somewhere in my wiring, which is why I immediately checked all my fuses :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, never assume - check.
Sure, the fuses were okay but... there's no power to a few of them.
1, 4, 7 & 11 have 0V when the others have power :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500SE
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, one of those had blown. I did have a mutter about 'dumb ass design decisions' when getting that lid off :mad:
Still no power on those other fuses, ignition switch next...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts