Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1979 gl1000 i parked it for the winter used stable in the gas bought new battery went to go start it , got it fired upand it died tried to restart it but am not getting any fire. it was flooded pretty good would that cause it not to fire and if so what can i check, and what other things could i check for no fire?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Welcome Rod, Flooding won't stop spark. I guess you put a plug on each plug wire end, and got no spark? If so you can ck continuity between the end of plug wires 1/2 & 3/4. You should get approx 24000 ohms, so set you meter accordingly. Also, do you have points or electronic ignition? If points, would take a look at them.
Others here will chime in soon.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Check to make sure you did not bump the kill switch?? I know embarrasing but it happens to all of us.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Check spark with the plugs laying on the block in a nice dark place..garage or under a blanket. Note do not pull the plugs away form the engine while testing it's not good for the system..IE keep them grounded while cranking..only crank in 5 second shots to avoid heating the starter up..all plugs out, gas off, clean and gap the plugs first, the spark should be a nice fat white one or blue..and should be able to spark across 6mmm.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

the kill switch was the first thing i checked,because yes i have tried to start it before with the kill switch on talk about embarising.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If you have no spark on any plugs I would go back to the beginning of the circuit..both coils going out and the same time is rare. track power from the spark units, grounds to them, power out of the pick up coil?

Electrical is not my thing but that's where I'd look..after check the coils as stated above

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

recharged my battery to go check bike but battery wouldnt turn the starter after just one charge. somthing fries my battery so i guess its going to the shop, thank for all the feed back.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Assuming it still has points, take the point cover off and slide a folded dollar bill between the point contacts.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

These small batteries have to be charged @ 2 amp or less.

I'm pretty sure on your original post that the bike ended up being flooded. Once you get the battery up to snuff, you can try again. Go easy on the starter.

Sometimes when these bikes have set for a long time they are hard to start. If you take a plug out & its wet then its flooded. If its dry its not gettting fuel. You can take the plugs out & let it dry out ( don't heat the plugs up to dry, you'll ruin them.)

If fuel/air mixture is too rich it won't fire even if you have spark. Everything has to be in the right proportion to have ignition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.