Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 83 aspencade. It has single carb conversion, empi 34 pict 3, that was installed on the bike when I bought it a couple years ago.

I took it out over the weekend. I noticed it wasn't getting up to normal speed on the highway. Full throttle only gave me 70mph. Then, when I got back into town, it was kind of sputtering a bit. I pulled into a parking lot and it had weak irregular idle and then died. I noticed the fuel filter (brand new) had very little fuel inside of it. I couldn't get it started right away. After waiting a few minutes, I tried again and it started up. Irregular idle at first, but it evened out. I could see gas in the filter. I rode it in town a ways and it had good power. Seemed fine. Even at stop lights, idle was good.

Then I took it back on the highway. Still wouldn't get above 70mph full throttle. I pulled off on to a country road, same issue as before.
sputtered out.
I had to wait a few minutes again to start it and then, same as before, idle evened out, visible fuel in filter, and it had good power at in-town speeds.
This time, I didn't push my luck and I just rode it home.

Any ideas?
Bike has a new fuel filter, new spark plugs, had timing belts changed and valves adjusted summer 2020.

Is it the fuel pump? Clogged fuel line? Bad petcock? I need help!

Brett

·
Registered
880 Posts
You mentioned all the likely suspects. Go check them. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and go for a ride to confirm.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,951 Posts
The problem appears to be pre-filter, so Duster's idea of a plugged tank vent is good but you might want to replace the hose from the tank to the filter, just to be sure. If it's plugged inside the tank you'll have some work to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts