Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
58,176 Posts
now, just an idle thought, for idle minds.

My Suburban's battery dropped down to 10.2 volts last week.
My fault, I forgot to turn off the GPS... the Cigar sockets on my Suburban are HOT all the time, not on the key-switch.

I bought a 750mA Battery Tender after getting it charged back up to about 12.0 volts with a standard charger.... not wanting to overcharge the battery, I switched over to the Battery Tender.

It took it about 2ish days, I checked it on the 3rd day, and the light is Green, and the DVM is now showing 13.05 VDC.

Stators do not need to pump out a gob of amps to charge the battery....
they are just 'old technology' for bikes..

The newer MOSFET series regulators are by far much be better than Shunt Regulators, and the Stators will last forever using a Series Regulator.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When i was in hospital for a week 15 months ago my pickup battery went very low, not even enough to light the oil light. Took it off and used one of these "Intelligent" chargers, took 4 days but it brought it back and still using it now

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
When i was in hospital for a week 15 months ago my pickup battery went very low, not even enough to light the oil light. Took it off and used one of these "Intelligent" chargers, took 4 days but it brought it back and still using it now
A very slow charge rate does seem to help restore dead batteries.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it happens that way on the "low maintenance" batteries as they took something out to stop them "gassing" . Antimony?
The hard part is getting them to accept any charge if very flat

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
I think it happens that way on the "low maintenance" batteries as they took something out to stop them "gassing" . Antimony?
Bryan,
The reason you might be having this issue is that a lot of battery chargers are polarity protected. That is they will only "kick in" when they see battery + on the red and battery - on the black. A stone dead battery has no polarity or not enough to satisfy the charger. The "feature" is there in case you hook up the charger backwards. Also bitter cold batteries are very slow to charge.
I have used my $5 Harbor Freight maintainer to charge 2 dead diesel equipment batteries that were dead. Took weeks but got them up to 14.05 volts. Wouldn't necessarily suggest that but for $5 it was worth the chance and I have done it more than once.

·
Administrator
24,817 Posts
If a battery is completely dead and the charger won't charge connect a second battery in parallel.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts