Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi I have purchased a new starter for my 82 gl1100. I’m wondering if it really is the starter. It usually starts every time but once in a while, it’s like there is a bare spot where the starter does not catch, if I try it a few times it catches and starts right up. Do you think it could be something else?

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Joker82:waving:

I had the same problem last year and found corrosion in the battery cable to the solenoid which had invaded the solenoid wireing and wireing connectors. Cleaned it up, replaced the batt cable and that cured the intermittent problem.

The starter just turned it over though. Starter stopped awhile back and useing volt/ohm meter found open through starter and only 10V out of solenoid. Replaced both last weekend and my what a differance.

Check your solenoid

Dwight

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Also check the ground cable at the rear upper engine mount. This is a connection that is often neglected and will drain power from the system.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Joker82 wrote:
Is the solenoid next to the starter.
No. The solenoid is next to the battery. The Positive (Red) cable from the battery goes to it. It is in a rubber boot that slides onto prongs from the battery box.

Disconnect the negitive cable first.

Sorry for the late reply

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Is it "not catching" because it's not getting electricity, or because the starter is spinning and not engaging the starter clutch?

If it's option B, I would say that since the starter clutch is a wet clutch (meaning it's lubricated with crankcase oil), the oil is thickened up due to it being cold, and not allowing the clutch to engage. Once it warms up, the problem should go away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.