Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife got me a pair of Gerbings heated insoles but before I open them, how do they stack up to the heated socks? Which do you-all have and why did you choose the insoles or socks?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

Good question and I look forward to hearing the opinions of people that have used them too. I want to get my wife some and was thinking about the socks. From what I've read, the socks have the heat on the toes. Designed that way because when you're riding the wind is hitting your toes first. I believe the insoles are heated the full length of them but obviously would only heat the bottoms of your feet. That might work great though. Like I said, I'll be watching this thread for the opinions of those that have used them.

John

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I hav e the socks and like them but they are hard to walk in; but mine are several years old. I think I would prefer the insoles if I didn't already have the socks.

Dubvs

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Which make (manufacturer) of socks are they Bernie?

Some makers placed the heating element wires in the sole (bottom) of the socks, while others placed the heating elements on top, around the toes. Some are a 'tube' sock design, while others are fitted and fit the foot more precisely.

Naming the maker of the product you havewill helpthose looking to keep their tootsies toasty

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

OK I personally have wore the full heated socks, been so long ago I forgot what brand but they heated the entire foot and man I loved them socks..If my memory serves me correct I got them from Academy here in Houston...Wore them hunting several years, keep the tootsies nice and warm....

I won't laugh I won't laugh...OK I'm laughing...But not at the question but at something I seen happen in the plant where I worked...One of our "shutdown" crane operators drove his crane to the shop for a minor problem...He asked if we had some wire that we could spare, he needed it to get his car cranked???....OK the shop foreman gave this guy some wire....About an hour later we heard the ambulance running, we were called to the unit one of our cranes was smoking under the dash????..Got there the emergency crew had that operator on the stretcher...Now the "Funny" part...His 9 volt sock battery had died, he didn't have a spare battery, so he's think that he can wire his socks into the battery on that crane...So he does...What he didn't know was our cranes were all 24 volt not 12 volt....

He managed to burn his feet really bad, if he's still alive he will still have the criss-cross scars from where those socks melted to his feet....So now I have a problem even thinking about wearing a pair of electric socks....But the ones I did own were great for keeping my feet nice and warm up in a deer stand....

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

Dusty,

Mine are Gerbings.

Dubs

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I thought Gerbing quit making the socks, and now have the insoles only.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Ok, ...nevermind. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have my Gerbings gear for several years. My socks have rather large wires running thru them and make them uncomfortable to walk very much in. Newer versions of all their gear are supposed to have smaller filament wires for more comfort and better heating properties. The new socks may be just fine and I still wear mine but would rather have something more comfortable. But I will use these until they fail, which will probably be never.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I have socks but not worn them yet, came with my suit and gloves.

Still never used the heat, the overhauls and gloves have done fine keeping me warm so far without turning them on.

How do you all connect the heated socks or insoles for power?
I think I'd like to try my socks heated but don't really need the gloves or suit turned on much. So far!

What I have I think just all plugs in together, gloves and socks to the suit, so if suit is off then so are they.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

I have the Gerbings heated insoles. If you also have the Gerbings heated pant liners, like I do, the insoles plug right into the cords at the bottom of the pant liners. If you don't have the heated pant liners, you can use a long wye cord extended down your pant legs. I find the insoles comfortable; no different from the boots' stock insoles. The heated insoles can get very warm. I usually will wear a thin sock liner under a normal pair of socks to help insulate the bottom of my feet from the heat of the insole. I've been thinking about getting a separate controller for them and the pants as they seem to get a lot warmer than the jacket and gloves. This time of year when it gets cold, and I get chilly from sitting here, I get suited up and go for a ride - it's as good as basking in the warmth of the sun on a summer day ...

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

I have the Firstgear heated socks. Very happy with them. I run the wires up the pants legs and then then into the heated Firstgear jacket. Keeps my feet toasty warm. Bought them at the Motorcycle Superstore for about $55. I tried all types of winter socks. This was the ticket for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.