Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Not too technical but hate to damage anything!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  hitecluddite 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Almost exactly 20yrs after selling my beloved 83 interstate with over 210,000 miles I got the itch and had the good fortune to pick up a completely stock one with 42,390 miles on the clock.

I started dissembling tonight to thoroughly clean, replace cam belts, flush coolant and rebuild both brake master cylinders.

While trying to remove the faux tank shell I have hit an impasse. I removed the at and the two bolts under the seat and the cover wiggles but will not slide off.

I'm almost positive that these are the only two bolts you need to remove and figure some added leverage needs to be applied somewhere to pot the cover off the rubber front bumpers. As seen in the attached photo this shell is very pristine and I don't want to damage it! Any insight or tricks to pop this thing loose without damage

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

much appreciated!

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks all! yep those are two of the bolts that don't get replaced once they are off! LOL Got it stripped to the frame and the rear caliper rebuilt. Did the SOS pad on all the chrome followed by wax and Mothers Step 1 paint clean on the burgundy. lots of pressure from the master cylinder but the pedal rebound is sluggish. Once the cam belts are dione I'll take it around the block a couple times and see if the pedal rebound loosens up. I have a rear master cylinder rebuild kit but need to read up on linked braking before I tackle that.

#7 ·
My 80 GL1100 rear brake pedal was very sluggish or not returning sometimes also. It is not real quick to do, but do-able. Removed the lever and pipe it rides on, polished the dickens out of it and coated with wheel bearing grease as it is very waterproof and this thing lives in the muck under the bike. Put it together and WOW!!! works like a new one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.