Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw a post where some members said they start out in second but I couldn't find it using the search function here. While taking off from a light in first it seems like by the time I get into second the Friday rush hour aggressive drivers are about to run me over. I went out yesterday on some quiet roads and tried taking off in second with good results. Easier to smoothly take off and shift up thru gears. didn't seem to affect the bike at all so thinking of doing this most of the time from now on. Are there any reason not to? The clutch seemed to have no problem, I was riding solo though.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
It will obviously do pretty good with a 2nd gear take off.

Is there anything wrong with doing that? Not really if you have the time to do so.

Me? if in traffic, I always use 1st because if I need to leave fast, I want the opportunity to do so.

Aggressive drivers running over you?
You are not winding up the engine high enough, get it up to 5k and shift, you will be so far ahead of the Corvettes they can't catch you.

Do not be shifting at 1500 to 2500 RPM in heavy traffic, get the RPMs in the range where you have control.

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
I will usually start off in second gear if Im not pulling the trailer. With that said, it's also possible to start off in 3rd gear as well....... Done that a few times when I thought I was in second gear........

·
Administrator
24,645 Posts
I remember someone doing that but it's been a long time. I will take off in 2nd if it's slightly down hill but mostly use 1st. 1800s are really too low geared, I wish I could get a 10% or so higher final drive ratio, not the 6th gear other people seem to be obsessed with. 5 speeds is plenty when you have that much low end torque.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input everybody. I might be shifting too low of rpm's like John said. I will try higher but if not I think second gear will work when solo and on quiet roads. I plan on no more Friday rush hours if possible anyway! Life's too short and so is my temper!:rofl:

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Thanks for all the input everybody. I might be shifting too low of rpm's like John said. I will try higher but if not I think second gear will work when solo and on quiet roads. I plan on no more Friday rush hours if possible anyway! Life's too short and so is my temper!:rofl:

I just remembered a tiny short video of traffic and freeway mix

this was the 1st time I had the microphone turned on, and from now on, I am going to leave it on... it gives you, the viewer, a better perspective of what is happening.

Note that as soon as I think it is time to go, I get the RPMs up above idle, quite a bit.... about 2,000 rpm more or less... that let's me get a good take off w/o stalling the engine, or having that black SUV cut me off trying to get over in my lane.... which he tried later.

Pay attention to the sound of the engine, I never got out of 2nd gear.... and I left it in 1st for the complete 1st block.... I want the immediacy of Instant Takeoff if an asswipe decides to take my lane.... I am serious, I have already been taken down by an 18 wheeler, I do not allow traffic to get in my way.

at the On Ramp, I did not go into 5th gear until long after I had merged into the 70 mph traffic.... I always keep the RPMs up when negotiating traffic.... if you need to twist the throttle for an emergency, it is too late to do a down shift.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks John , they say a pictures worth a thousand words and that video was even better. I definitely am shifting waaay slower than that. I don't think even your rear camera would be able to see me! :rofl:

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Thanks John , they say a pictures worth a thousand words and that video was even better. I definitely am shifting waaay slower than that. I don't think even your rear camera would be able to see me! :rofl:

Did you perchance notice that video shows the actual speed?

In that video, it is KPH, I just received an update for it, to change that to MPH.... hope it works like they say it will.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey John nice video, interesting that the 1800's still have the clank sound when shifting. My 1200 does not like 2nd gear starts it will do it but if you did it all the time you would be putting a clutch in before long. Our traffic is a lot different than yours, Our freeways have 3 lanes or more each direction and the 1 & 2 lanes are full of trucks, the 3rd lane is full of cars trying to run 75mph. When you leave the Fwy. and get on surface streets it will be packed with cars maybe 3 lanes each direction and you have to stay alert or you will get run over. I don't lane split, I really don't think it is safe, except if there is a accident and traffic is at a stand still and my bike is getting hot, then I might ride between cars very slow. In L.A. they do it at 70 mph and the cars are doing 15mph. I'm to old for that. The 1200's run lower gears and turn higher RPM's so our response is quicker than the 1800. 3500 rpm gets you about 70 mph and 40 mpg fuel. I think my speedo is off by about 4 mph so that number is really 66 mph. You would think Honda would have fixed that clank sound in the newer bikes, it sounds like there coming apart every shift.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
at the On Ramp, I did not go into 5th gear until long after I had merged into the 70 mph traffic.... I always keep the RPMs up when negotiating traffic.... if you need to twist the throttle for an emergency, it is too late to do a down shift.
Useless input here from a 1000, but I sometimes start out in second. The bike can take it easy enough without high revs.
Entering the highway (anywhere from 65-80 mph here) I'm always in fourth and many times will drop it into third when merging over, depending on how busy the lanes are.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
Hey John nice video,

Our traffic is a lot different than yours, Our freeways have 3 lanes or more each direction and the 1 & 2 lanes are full of trucks, the 3rd lane is full of cars trying to run 75mph. When you leave the Fwy. and get on surface streets it will be packed with cars maybe 3 lanes each direction and you have to stay alert or you will get run over. .

Thanks for the comments, that video was in Owasso, OK and US169 at that point is 2 lanes each side.

Just 4 miles further south in Tulsa county, it is 3 lanes wide each way, and then further south it is 4 lanes each side....

I-44 and I-244 thru Tulsa is a disaster in the making, wrecks every day because of ill design.... they have shut part of I-244 down a whole year revamping it to bring it up to a safer place to drive.

This has caused a lot of wrecks because even the locals don't know which lane to be in to turn off, so they slow up and get rammed in the rear by the hot shot jerk who drives that lane 14 times a day and is mad because they are slowing him down.

Just two days ago, a church extended van had 1 driver and 10 children in it. The van's engine started giving trouble, and it slowed down to barely making 45 mph as the driver looked to get off the highway.

That van was slammed into the rear by a big truck at 70 mph....

14 people sent to the hospital, 3 of them life flighted.

so, there were 3 in the bigger truck that rear ended the van, and they got hurt.

the news story is extremely sparse of good info, no mention of seat belts at all.

·
Registered
365 Posts
John, I've been thru Tulsa, we took an Express way that bypassed alot of town. I think that was Tulsa we were going to Skyatok. I don't think I spelled it right. Tulsa has plenty of traffic and bad drivers, just like here.

·
Administrator
57,943 Posts
John, I've been thru Tulsa, we took an Express way that bypassed alot of town. I think that was Tulsa we were going to Skyatok. I don't think I spelled it right. Tulsa has plenty of traffic and bad drivers, just like here.
Skyatok => Skiatook ( close enough )

yes, you probably caught I-244 which has been the "main bypass", they have added the Creek Expressway which is a bypass on the south side of Tulsa linking I-44 to the Muskogee Freeway which goes back down thru Broken Arrow to I-40 again.

There is a short bypass called the Gilcrease 'something or other' this is fairly new, and it is going to be extended into a newer bypass further north than I-244.

Tulsa is at least 15 years behind where it should be, compared to what OKC has done, Tulsa is 30 years behind the curve.

The worst of it is, it is all coming to a big donny brook at the same time that the oil crunch hit and no dollars to feed the contractors to build new roads.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No matter what I'm riding I start out in the gear that rides the clutch the least, and that gives me the best chance of not stalling.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Shifting at 2,500 RPM? Or earlier?

Yeah, it's kinda like this:

Try going North of 4,000 RPM sometime, and see how it behaves. It's like a turbine that provides power as predictable as a rheostat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.