Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had the old girl on final approach yesterday...I was within 3 miles of the runway after a very, very, very enjoyable ride down along the Suwanee River in North Florida, when something happened that disturbed me greatly. I was cruising north on I-75, probably making about 70 mph as I was rolling through Tifton. I heard a low rumble, and at first I thought I was having mechanical issues. I looked in my mirrors and didn't see anything unusual...Then suddenly out of nowhere, two guys on what I figure to have been Harley Davidisons FLEW past me.. And yes, I was startled..very startled...so much so that it could have been dangerous...I guess the thing that disturbed me the most, was that I had this strange feeling that this was done intentionally..as once they passed, they slowed back down to crusing speed..and seem to exchange "thumbs up" between the two of them...while my heart was still in my throat..

Now, I've heard plenty of loud pipes, and maybe it was just because there were two bikes, but this was audibly unbelieveable..I know that I'm a novice at all this stuff, but is this something that people do for fun, trying to startle people?? Not my idea of fun..Maybe I'm just imagining all of this..

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Yeah I hate it when they sneak up on me. I jump out of my skin even though I try my very best to stay aware of my surrounding.

Usually I can hear them coming even with my pathetic excuse of ears and hearing!

The worst I've recently had happen to me was on the way to Calhoun and the rally. I was holding my own in downtown Atanta on I75 with one lane between me and the car pool lane.

Out of now where came a guy, no helmet and a t-shirt on a crotch rocket. He was going to fast the sound didn't have time to get to me before he did. He was using the fast lane and the car pool lane to weave in and out of traffic and had to be doing at leat 100 mph. In a flash he was past me and disappearing into the distance up head.

His bike was one of the larger crotch rockets and had the megaphone type pipes that made it louder that the world coming to an end.

Looking back on it now I laugh, because I know the communities around here are growing tired of the noise. They have enacted laws to be able to ticket and confiscate cars with the super loud stereos.

Clearly obnoxious modified bikes will be next!!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Yea, don't get me started on loud pipes I got over that when i was a teenager. I guess it gives them that muncho feeling.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

Chesterwgunn: You should have goosed your 1200 and waved politely as you left them and their harleys in their own noise pollution.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I have had that happen to me, and I'm sorry to say, I have returned the favor a few times. I have passed like I have been standing still by an 1800 or two and never heard it coming, so I know the effect it must have had on the Harley guys. Let me rethink this. Somehow, I guess I'm not sorry.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I on the other hand chester like loud pipes and have had guys come up and surprize me. what bothered me wasn't the fact that they startled me with their loud pipes, it was the fact that I wasn't using my rear view mirrors enough to know that they were coming!!!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

Just keep the stereo cranked up, cruise past them, then take a sip of coffee and light up a smoke, then wave.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

Idingdong wrote:
Chesterwgunn: You should have goosed your 1200 and waved politely as you left them and their harleys in their own noise pollution.
This is precisely what I did when this happened to me on Highway 99 coming out of Fresno. I was happily cruising along on my Valkyrie at about 70 whan two guys on Harleys passed me on either side in one lane. It startled me a bit, but I just rolled on a bit of throttle and that big 1500cc mill made them both sit up and take notice when I left them in my mirrors.

That said, not all Harley riders are idiots like that. Once when riding between Sacramento and Vallejo, I was waved into a pack of about 5 or 6 Hell's Angels who were kind enough to let me join them for about 20 miles before my exit came up.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

ringo00 wrote:
Idingdong wrote:
This is precisely what I did when this happened to me on Highway 99 coming out of Fresno. I was happily cruising along on my Valkyrie at about 70 whan two guys on Harleys passed me on either side in one lane. It startled me a bit, but I just rolled on a bit of throttle and that big 1500cc mill made them both sit up and take notice when I left them in my mirrors.

That said, not all Harley riders are idiots like that. Once when riding between Sacramento and Vallejo, I was waved into a pack of about 5 or 6 Hell's Angels who were kind enough to let me join them for about 20 miles before my exit came up.
Next time, that is what they're getting....I just wasn't prepared for it this time, but next time....I'll be waiting for them!!!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I agree with knuckle. About ten years ago, I was driving in Floridaon Alligator alley out of Miami towards Naples when two crotch rockets scared the crap out of me. I was doing 70mph and these guys passed me like I was standing still and they were doing 100+; meaning they were probably doing 150+mph. I never heard them. Their exhaust were actually quiet. Or, the doppler effect happened. Only saw them pass by me and in a minute they were out of sight, little dots. If I had changed lanes, somebody would have died for sure. Sometimes noise is good.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No the noise is not good, if they came from behind at a lot faster speed you're not going to hear the noise until it's too late anyway. By far most of the noise is projected back behind the offending bike. All noisy pipes do is causecities to pass laws thatrestrict all of us, noisy or quiet.:whip::whip:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I would love to be able to explain to those youngsters the woes of all that loud noise. But I didn't listen back when I was young and stupid.

Now I'm older and hopefully a little wiser, but I'm sure alot deafer that I would have ever thought back then.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I had something similar happen to me only it was some "idiot" on a crotch rocket! I say "idiot" because this clown passed me up on highway 51 south in Batesville MS in a 45 mph zone and he was doing at least 100mph.
I was doing 50 and he flew by me like I was sitting still.
It scared the living crap out of me!:shock:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Actually, too much noise or speed are bad. It is just that I would like a warning when these "Ben Hurs" came from my rear.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

RUDE is RUDE, no matter what the circumstances are. A friend
of mine in Denver had a couple of cruiser types tailgate him
on his K100 a couple of years ago. They finally passed him then slowed down. He returned the favor, they sped up to try to lose him. He followed them and kept pace until they got tired of eating the wind. Well it was not their day trying to lose a BMW K100. He just passed them and kept on going.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

Knucklebucket wrote:
What bothered me wasn't the fact that they startled me with their loud pipes, it was the fact that I wasn't using my rear view mirrors enough to know that they were coming!!!
Well put Tom,but who amongst us doesn't occasionally let their concentration slip??

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I had something very similar happen on my way back from Calhoun, I'm running about 65 towing my trailer, and had 3 Harleys pass me trying to make as much racket as they could, I just cracked the throttle open on the old 1500 and passed them back and they were looking at each other when I did, because they were running about 80, and I passed them at 95 towing the trailer. They didn't pass me again when I slowed down to the speed limit a couple of miles up the road, but stayed behind me until I turned off to gas up about 10 miles up the highway.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Well I guess I’m just as bad :cooldevil:

:action:

I have a habit of walking / riding up to a GREEN HD rider and

;)

Hey man sounds like you got a skip,sounds like the bike is only running on two cylinders. Better get the bike to the shop, that will make 'em run hot. Can you put your hand "there" and hold it or is it tooHOT :shock:

:cooldevil::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

ringo00 wrote:
I was happily cruising along on my Valkyrie at about 70 whan two guys on Harleys passed me on either side in one lane. It startled me a bit, but I just rolled on a bit of throttle and that big 1500cc mill made them both sit up and take notice when I left them in my mirrors.
I have that sort of fun on the bikewhen I'm out and about most days.:goofygrin:
Not other bikes are the problem though, it's usually BMW cage drivers........the larger capacity 3 series, and the 5 series.
Cruise along at the speed limit here (120kph), look in the mirrors and guess what's crawling all over mybehind. Yep, another Beemer!!:doh:

Just tickle that throttle a tad, and six carbs and six cylinders quickly sends the Valk over 200kph (125mph), then I drop back to the speed limit again. Funny thing happens then..........the Beemer doesn't want to 'play' any more :baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

Chippy01 wrote:
ringo00 wrote:
I was happily cruising along on my Valkyrie at about 70 whan two guys on Harleys passed me on either side in one lane. It startled me a bit, but I just rolled on a bit of throttle and that big 1500cc mill made them both sit up and take notice when I left them in my mirrors.
I have that sort of fun on the bikewhen I'm out and about most days.:goofygrin:
Not other bikes are the problem though, it's usually BMW cage drivers........the larger capacity 3 series, and the 5 series.
Cruise along at the speed limit here (120kph), look in the mirrors and guess what's crawling all over mybehind. Yep, another Beemer!!:doh:

Just tickle that throttle a tad, and six carbs and six cylinders quickly sends the Valk over 200kph (125mph), then I drop back to the speed limit again. Funny thing happens then..........the Beemer doesn't want to 'play' any more :baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Yeah. When I first got the Valk and was still getting used to the power it could generate, I had a fun situation happen. This was on the same trip that I wrote about above. I was cruising south on 99 headed to LA on a business trip, with my throttle lock set at what I thought was 75 MPH. You know how if you don't have them set just perfectly they can creep the throttle up on you? Well the next time I looked at the speedo, it indicated about 115 MPH at about 5000 RPM. I didn't even notice. That means that even at that speed, I still had roughly a third of the tach left to go around. I didn't really want to see what the top speed was. CHP tends to take a pretty dim view of that on state freeways.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.