Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an old (1986) Aspencade yesterday! Took it for a brief ride and one of the side covers took off on it's own. So I stopped on the side of the highway to fetch it and dumped the bike after I got the stand down. Then I careened off into the ditch while trying to regain my balance. It was spectacular. Maybe you had to be there to appreciate it. Didn't get hurt (I'm 74) and lots of nice people saw me and stopped & help including another old guy who helped my pick up the bike, and one very nice woman who fetched the wayward side cover for me. Overall, I was mortified.

Moving along spritely from this part of my introduction, The GW I bought was previously owned by a person who removed the offending part every time it stopped working, like the air pump, cruise, and I don't know what else yet. BUT! It seems like the stator is good! I hope to restore it somewhat and I hope I can get some help here. Thanks for putting up with me in advance.

·
Administrator
25,749 Posts
:welc: You got some of the bad experiences out of the way already.

Reactions: noviwinger

·
Premium Member
64,346 Posts
Hallo brian2012

Welcome on this nice forum. Wish you al the best.
And good luck with your Wing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear about great helpers on/off the road

Welcome and great facts about your 1st ride. Happy you are safe and bike is intact. I too am rebuilding and becoming comfortable on my 1987 Interstate. I find riding the wing is considerably different then my honda VT1100T. Basically I sit higher on the wing so it takes some getting used to. I do not like the shift lever angle/spacing.. may look at changing. Works ok with soft shoes...not so much with boots.
Good luck..
Enjoy the Day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Brian,

I’m new here myself. I just inherited a 78 GL1000, which I’ll be restoring. It hasn’t run in 3 years. Glad to see you here, I live near Green Bay, whereabouts are you located? I may have a slight advantage in that I own& operate a cycle repair and restoration shop.

Keep in touch and welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts