Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well I feel like a dumbass. Charged my bike up over night (waiting to get a poorboy kit, $ is tight). Removed the charger in the morning and put the cover back on. All was well on the way to work when I felt something brush my leg. Looking down, just in time to see the left side cover come off and go bouncing into oncoming traffic. Pulled over to retrieve it an a semi ran over it, turning it to so much plastic. Now what I can't understand is why the left cover is so expensive compared to the right. I've seen the left side on ebay for $400 and the right for $130. Has anyone made their own? I would be interested in any drawings ppl have made or another, cheaper alternative. It breaks my heart every time I look at my bike to see that ugly battery. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
imported post

I guess you mean the battery side? I was told that often the battery side covers are more expensive 2nd hand as they get taken on and off more for maintenance- making them loose in the rubber grommets, then they fall off. Presumably there is more demand and often they are already missing from bikes when they arrive at a breaker......Steve

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Note many of us attach a wire or line to the back of our covers and tie them off to the bike ..if they come off they can't go too far!!!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Note many of us attach a wire or line to the back of our covers and tie them off to the bike ..if they come off they can't go too far!!!
Can you post a pic of this cover teather setup?

I lost my battery side on I35 in Austin ,TX 27 yrs ago. Never saw it fly off and never found it. It was my fault because I never seated the front nipple in the gromet and the wind sucked it off. I learnd my lesson then and havn't lost one since. A brand new one, color match, OEM from Honda for my 81was , if I remember correctly was $38 and the emblems were $20 a piece. Boy has time changed.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Ijust got some on evilbay for 6 bucks us the price goed from 6bucks upto 150 ive seen in the last week

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Good reminder to change those grommets every five years or so, old ones lose their grip just like us old guys.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure where you are seeing these covers (obviously madeof pure gold) on eBay but those prices are WAY out of line. I have seen and purchased a set for my 1100 for under $50. I wouldn't pay $400 for the entire set of body parts including teh fairing. (well maybe if it was in perfect condition AND custom paint)

Don't get in a hurry with eBay. Wait and shop around. LOTS of side covers available. and the "high priced" sets may be a drug scam. Yes, some people sell drugs and God knows what through eBay, Craig's List, ertc. under regular looking ads and auctions.

And yes the tether idea works great.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I'm with rb. Those things are out there, just some people are savvy about wings and the looks depend on those tupperwares! As a result, they ask crazy prices. I wish someone would start making affordable replacement aftermarket plastic body parts, they'd make a fortune! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you can use tiewraps and drill a hole thru one of the plug post....also a quick release key chain thingy...woth it weight in gold

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.