Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, learned a lesson today. A car tire won't work on a 1200 rim, at least not this one. I heard a Volkswagen tire (165/80 R15) would work on a 1200 so I decided to try it. Bought a new tire, glad it was cheap ($52) and took a rim in to work to mount it. Put the rim on the tire machine with the outer rim clamps and put the tire on it. Had to take it off the clamps to put air in the tire so it is just laying on top of the clamp arms and I start adding air, 40-50-60-70-80 PSI ant it still won't seat so I let the air out and lube it again and start adding air again. 40-50-60-70-80 PSI and one side seats, cool I thinks. So I added a little more at a time and the other side starts to move. Then about the loudest bang ever heard happens, I check to see if I am still there, OK then I look at where the tire and wheel are/were, not there so I look up just in time to catch it. Here is what happened to the tire.

Attachments

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Nice thing about doing stuff first hand is that no one can convince you about any bs.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Very dangerous situation.

Glad to hear you are OK.

You kids and your car tires:cheeky1:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

So .... nothing 'exciting' to report, huh! :shock: :gunhead:

Glad you came out of that one alright, Dave! :blackstuff: Wonder what caused that bead to rip apart like that? :stumped:

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Well a few people got excited, it shook the whole building. Me, I got no panic in me.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Maybe no panic but I'll bet you had to change your under wear!!!! Very glad you wern't hurt been reading a lot trying to go darkside on my 1100. I can't find a car tire to fit. I have a Dunlop MU90b-16 now and there is about 1/4 inch on each side. Soooooo looks like I'll have to get a 1500 to be able to go darkside!!!! Oh what a shame.....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks like the bead circumference was a bit too much less than that of the rim.:shock:Might be the tire gods speaking. :brokedown:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Dusty Boots wrote:
Well a few people got excited, it shook the whole building. Me, I got no panic in me.
May be something else no longer in you also, maybe check your drawers and see if in there LOL

Glad your ok!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Darn, Dave, you'll do anything to have a blast. Glad you didn't blow anything off.:shock:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Dave, glad you was not injured. You could put a 1500 wheel on a 1200, then put a car tire on the 1500 wheel !

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I used to post here about the 1200 darkside issue, because I wanted to do it, and in my research I came up with the VW tire. But I had once been told that the 1200 rim wasn't a true 15". The rim diameter is actually slightly larger than 15". But the motorcycle tire's are made to fit, and round offto be called 15".

Apparently that is not an acurate description of the problem or Ididn't understand it well enoughbecause too many times I have been argued down, so I have dropped the subject. So maybe it's the rim size after all, or maybe it's the shape of the bead seat itself, but the bead of the tire is physically smaller than the bead seat of the rim. And the bead cores are made of wire, so they don't stretch.

That is the same problem that happens when putting a 16" truck tire on a 16.5" rim. It's close enough that you can physically fit the 16" tire into place, but when you try to seat the beads, it can bevery dangerous. I remember seeing warnings on the lables of 16" truck tires.

Think about it, 16" diameter x 3.14 gives you 50" of circumfrence. If you consider a one inchwide bead bead area and multiply that times 80 psi you have over 4000 lbs of pressure on each bead. That's two tons trying to force it to seat.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

that would be my only saftey issue with a ct on a 1500. My manual for my 90 ststes there is a danger of explosion if you mount a ct on a 1500. After it's mounted its just a tire . During my younger yrs I was a tire guy for a highway const company and know the dangers of tire explosions.
But so far ive never heard of any injury or death from mounting ct on 1500.
wilf

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i had a friend who mounted an old Volkswagen tire on his 1200,they had to do some modifitacion to the rim for the bead to slide in position i believe some grinding to round some edges on the center of the rim.

he had the tire down there for like a month, the sidewalls were way too soft that the bike would move side to side on the tire, now imagine that at speeds, it was pretty scary.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Appreciate your diligence for us 1200 guys and am glad that no one was hurt in the process. It would be wonderful if someone could find the tire to fit or the rim retrofit that would work, bus as time passes and these bikes get older, probably not going to happen.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

William_86 wrote:
i had a friend who mounted an old Volkswagen tire on his 1200,they had to do some modifitacion to the rim for the bead to slide in position i believe some grinding to round some edges on the center of the rim.

he had the tire down there for like a month, the sidewalls were way too soft that the bike would move side to side on the tire, now imagine that at speeds, it was pretty scary.
That was 1 of my concerns since a high speed rated tire in that size could not be found but my curiosity got the best of me and I had to find out for myself.
Marcus Bacon and Chromo, no that is just not me. Maybe if a large predator were after me and I had no weapon I could soil my underwear but nothing much else is likely to do that.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Back in 73 I did some Ice drag racing with my Bultaco 350 Astro flattracker. The hot setup back then was to useKalamazoo claws on the rear tire. These were1.25" square hardenedsteel cups that were designedto be bolted to snowmobile tracks. They had 4 sharp points that really grabbed the ice. The guy that told me about these races was having a problem with them tearing out of the tire. My thought was to inflate the tire to make them stand out and not tip over. So after drilling about 70 holes throught the tire cord I pumped the tire to 70 lbs. I held pieces of plywood between the tire and my torso and everyonecleared out of the shop.

Our fears were not founded though as the tire did not explode and gripped the ice like a sprocket on a chain. No one ever figured out my secret and I went undefeated the rest of theseason in the open class.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

In case you haven't heard, they make tires to fit motorcycles. you don't have to go to an auto parts store for CYCLE parts.:?

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

riffraff wrote:
In case you haven't heard, they make tires to fit motorcycles. you don't have to go to an auto parts store for CYCLE parts.:?
I hadn't heard. Thank you for the reminder, I'll keep it in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Good thing it wasn't a split rim.:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

riffraff wrote:
:doh:really !

I am going to have to look into that. I wonder if they sell grips there too, I have been using cut up garden hose...:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.