Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took ns sensor on 86 aspey and used heat gun for paint removal and held sensor at least 12 inches from heat gun while reading ohms with fluke meter. Ohms got to around 480 but sensor never went open. Surely engine does not produce this kind of heat where it is mounted, does anyone think this sensor passed this test?:action:

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

You would have to be able to check the temp of the sensor to know how hot it got. If it got over 200 F. and held it is probably OK. Are you just experimenting or chasing a problem?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it is ok, so far. But, one day soon, it'll die. They seem to have a pre-destination of about 20-25 yrs. I'd be looking for a new on (if you can find one), or install one of the 2 from a new 1500 crank sensor. That works fine, but it takes a bit of modification. Grinding a bit off the mount pads, and elongation the sensor mounting holes a bit. You may or may not have to reverse the wires in the connector. You'd utilize the original 2 pin connector body. I walked a fella in Tenn. thru this fix, and it worked fine. It really isn't that hard to do, and 1500 sensors are still available.

One thing I've wondered - will a 1/2 carbed 1200 crank position sensor work? It's a very different resistance reading, but it might work anyway. Maybe we can get someone to try it, when they absolutely can't find a ns sensor.

I know one thing, I wouldn't go far from home without a backup ns sensor onboard the bike. I hate being stranded with a passion.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
imported post

Hey Old Fart, I just posted a reply on my post "revisiting pulse sensor". I just ordered one yesterday through my local Honda dealer and it was in stock somewhere in North Dakota. $57.17 and I will have it in 5 days. I believe it will fit an 86 as well as my 85 LTD. It took the parts guy 15 minutes of calling but he found 1. Better jump on it fast, he says they are harder and harder to come by.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Lucky, you. They were 32.00. Glad you found one. Dealers are the only spots to have one, if at all. Not MOTHER> :crying:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bike quit running, would stall and start and run rough again. Put cam belts on and decided to test sensor. did not have a thermometer to read temp, but I can tell you it was pretty doggone hot! I will probably get a 1500 sensor and put it on. Will take a fuel pressure test when bike is all back together and on the road.:action:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.