Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took my first semi-long trip (400+ miles) on my new'08 Wing and my butt was numb by the end of the trip. I just ordered the Aqua-Aire seat cushion. We'll see how that works. I guess you've got to modify a Wing just like I've modified all the Harleys I've had. I still can't get used to having my feet under me instead of in front. I am learning that there is no perfectly comfortable bike. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Like I've always said the biggest downfall of all models of Wings is the stock seat.
Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada.
I think if you use the search box you will probably find lots of reading on how to make the 1800 more comfortable.If not I'm sure the 1800 guys will be along to point you in the right direction.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

I've had the same experience ...

The seat cushion from Wal Mart was the solution that worked for me. It worked better than the Air Hawk.

However, since butts very so may your experience with different solutions to the problem. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Bob

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Although I don't own a 1800, I've found you have to get 'saddle broke, by riding a few long trips per season and the addition of a sheep skin has always made a big difference in seating comfort.

I posted about adding a couple of different sized sheep skins to my saddle, here.

It's worked for me over the years, enabling comfortable 6-700 mile long days in the saddle. :action:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Yep, breaking in the ole butt is a must. Nancy and I always tried to take a couple long weekend rides before jumping on a long trip. We didn't get the chance before the run up to Calhoun.

After doing the 650 miles I had to admit that I was suffering from the sore butt.

Getting off and stretching helps too. Even if it's only the time it takes to go into the rest stop and use the bathroom.

·
Registered
313 Posts
imported post

i also find that the stock 1800 seat just about cripples me. I have been using an aqua-aire for a couple of years which really helped. On the way back from Calhoun Tricky and I stopped at a Walmart and finally found one of their seat cushions.I put the Walmart cushion on the seat and the aqua-aire on top of that. Now that is comfortable. I think the 1800 is built for the average build say 5' 10". i am 6" 3" and found my hips were lower than my knees. the two cushions now change that and increased my riding comfort. I am also looking at getting a set of mikopegs which will allow me to stretch my legs out.

john

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I believe most of us wing riders have the problem of age and therefore have lost our butt literally. Unless we get a lot of exercise for those muscles we sit on we are sitting too close to the bone. Padding helps, I got a sheep skin but still get tired butt in a couple of hours but it seems to get better after a while if I keep on riding. I try to do some brisk walking every day with my dogs, long strides to work the glutes and it seems to help a little. I Have found some athletic underwear at wal mart, tight fitting and silky that also add to the comfort because they don't bunch up and wick away sweat.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

just put the kyriakan pegs on the 1100 and boy what a difference. adjusted them so that my calf's rest lightly on the engine guardsand feetsolidly on the pegs. best butt saving thing i did. good silky boxer briefskeeps everything else in good shape.:cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Chiroguitarman! :waving::waving:

Age and weight are working against comfort for a lot of us!:cooldevil:I always carry a small bottle of Advil on long trips, knees, butt and back can give me fits on a long run. Highway pegs help a lot for the knees and behind. I alternate between the upright seating position and the 'Full Greg' which is a slouching, laid back position. I slide the forward on the seat until I have a slightly intimate contact on the very front of the seat and lean back on the Utopia backrest and put my feet on the highway pegs. That puts me more in the position of a forward control cruiser rider. Alternating between those two every so often helps with a 600+ mile day. The Kuryakan ISO pegs are well worth having..

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
:waving::waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site Chiroguitarman! :waving::waving:

I alternate between the upright seating position and the 'Full Greg' which is a slouching, laid back position.

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Yup NaturallyGW looks like he's slumping on a sofa, when he's in 'Cruise Mode' :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Highway pegs make a pretty bigdifference, as you can stretch your legs, straighten your kneesand shift pressure off of your butt. ;)

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
imported post

First, let me say that I think that everyone has to do what is comfortable for them as an individual. You have to try different things until you find what work for you. Before I tell you what I do, let me say this. My GWRRA Chapter rides about 200-300 miles every Saturday. In as much, I've been able to do a lot of experimenting. This is what works for me and my 1500:

1) SEAT: I agree. The stock seat leaves a lot to be desired. I found that the Road Sofa is the most comfortable. I also use a sheep skin butt pad by Alaska Leather.

2) LEGS: I use full foot print highway pegs. This allows you to stretch out. Sometimes, I use both feet and sometimes one foot at a time.

3) RIDING SHORTS: I have found that a good pair of riding shorts makes all the difference in the world. The ones that I use are somewhat expensive, but the old butt really appreciates them. Once I started wearing them, I found that I could ride much longer without fatigue. The ones that I use are from AeroStich.

4) BABY POWDER?: Yep, I powder up my butt and the boys. This is especially helpful on hot days.

5) TAKE A BREAK: Especially on very long rides, I stop frequently. I would estimate that I take a breat every 45-60 minutes. I limit my stops to 5-8 minutes. Just enough time to go to the bathroom and do a couple of stretches. Then, it's back on the bike.

6) Keep Hydrated: I have an ice chest that is attached to my trailer hitch. I keep it stocked with water and soft drinks. When I stop at a rest stop, I refill my Beverage Butler with ice and water.

7) Crank Up The Tunes: I have Garmin Zumo 550 GPS. I also have the XM Radio attachment. I crank up the tunes. To me, it helps me think about other things than my butt.

I have only been riding wings (1200 then 1500) since April of 2007. However, I've put on about 10,000 miles. On two trips, I've done Butt Burner 1000's. One was intentional and one unintentional. The first Butt Burner was the worst. I rode through a 107 degree day in blowing sand near Phoenix. That part was miserable. The second time was on a seperate trip to Albuquerque. I just kept telling myself that I'd stop when I got tired.

The bottom line is that you need to figure out what works for you. Not what works for someone else. By the way, I'm 59 years old and having a comfortable ride is important to me.

Good luck and enjoy your rides!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

+1 on the riding/ bicycle shorts. When I ride long distance rallies padded shorts really work.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

"I still can't get used to having my feet under me instead of in front."

Years ago that was every bike I owned,your feet was under you,

I thought I would never get used to having my legs out front,but I did.

Just like the old bikes,they came loaded with everything,now you have to buy everything and add it to them.

I guess they got smart on us...........

Get you a corbin seat...........yes it's worth it,enjoy the WHOLE ride,not just the beginning.......

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

I am hoping for great things from my newfound Corbin seat:)

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Monk and Johnboy
I see you mentioned a seat cushion from Walmart.
Is that a cushion designed for motorcycles?
I looked online and didn't see anything
Thanks

Monk
The seat cushion from Wal Mart was the solution that worked for me
johnboy
I stopped at a Walmart and finally found one of their seat cushions

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Early in the riding season, I need to build up to the long rides...get my bike-butt back.

#1.) I have to have a good backrest.

#2.)Hi-way pegs or boards are NOT an option after 100 miles.

#3.) A 1 inch nap sheepskin [seamless] is a necessity.

#4.) I need riding pegs so I can rotate my toes up/down to relieve strain on hips, knees, ankles. [no floorboards for my old bones].

I've seen older folks ride all day on the 'stadium seats' from Wally's...they are just soft, waffled rubber & usually covered by a sheepskin.

I've got my last 3 custom made sheepskins from www.alaskaleather.com [you choose color] about $60. delivered with coupon code 'deadsheep'.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

On the 1800 install the Kuryakn handle bar kit, pull those bars back full back and up, get either the ****-o-pegs or some type of very good foot peg. Order and install a Utopia backrest, then on a long run you can slide forward and slouch down and run another two hundred miles.

Kit

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Seat: I don't think any OEM puts a good seat on any bike. That said, it does take a few thousand miles, imo, to decide if the stock seat is for you. The foam and seat construction take time to get used to your, umm, particular configuration. And your nether regions likewise. I'm currently around 5000 miles with a couple of 800+ mile days and I'm riding on an Alaska butt pad that seems a good way to go for now.

Legs: The riding style of the GL may take some getting used to. On my V-twins, I rode with my legs about in line with my knees. On the ST I rode with my feet a few inches ahead of my butt. For me the GL is somewhere in between. I've added crash bar mounted highway pegs for a different riding position and can feel the difference in my butt when I extend my legs.

Riding Shorts: I gave up wearing jeans/cotton after finding LD Riding shorts a more comfortable way to go. These shorts wick moisture away, are fully synthetic, very durable, and don't have seams in the "tender bits". This seems to have eliminated the dreaded "Monkey Butt" for me. If you go with these types of undershorts don't use any powder as the powder will fill in the pores on the shorts and reduce the effectiveness of them.

Powder: Don't use it since getting the microfiber shorts and t-shirts.

Breaks: As an Iron Butt rider, I've learned that getting off the bike can make staying longer on the bike more realistic - and comfortable. When getting gas I move around. After getting gas I check out the bike and do a bit of stretching. I also walk around for a minute or two (fill, drain, fill...) before getting back on the bike. I also try to ride relaxed.

Hydration: I wear a 3L CamelBak hydration pack (the ones with the insulated fill hose). I fill it with ice and water at every stop. It gives me cool water, keeps me hydrated, and makes riding more comfortable. Some folks carry insulated mugs but I found that on a 3 hour run in hot weather the mug didn't have enough capacity for the time in the seat. I also wear full riding gear which protects my skin from the sun, allows controlled wicking of moisture from my skin and promotes cooler feeling.

Diversions: Depending on the road and ride, I like having tunes, especially on the boring flat interstates. I like the AM/FM radio for news and weather, the CB for road reports, WB for weather forecasts, and the MP3 player for areas when there isn't anything I want to listen to.

You need to get comfortable on your bike, and imo, that can only come with time in the saddle. Your idea of minimal comfort probably won't be the same as others. What you wear will determine how comfortable you are.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

kah92340 wrote:
Monk and Johnboy
I see you mentioned a seat cushion from Walmart.
Is that a cushion designed for motorcycles?
I looked online and didn't see anything
Thanks

Monk
The seat cushion from Wal Mart was the solution that worked for me
johnboy
I stopped at a Walmart and finally found one of their seat cushions
Here's what it looks like. It's not designed specifically for motorcycles but an awful lot of riders use it and swear by it.

I've got one but haven't felt the need for it. Hauled it in the trailer all the way to Calhoun which left less space for my wife to buy things. :cheeky1:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443285961&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672427&bmUID=1225818113921&deptid=1408474396672395&ctgrid=1408474396672396&subctgrid=1408474396672427

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
exavid wrote:

I alternate between the upright seating position and the 'Full Greg' which is a slouching, laid back position.

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Yup NaturallyGW looks like he's slumping on a sofa, when he's in 'Cruise Mode' :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Highway pegs make a pretty bigdifference, as you can stretch your legs, straighten your kneesand shift pressure off of your butt. ;)
:)I don't always ride in the "fullGreg position" but on long rides ie to Calhoun it sure takes the presure of my tail bone. Paul, xavid sure has it down, he really looks comfortable in "full Greg". We had several 600+ mile days to and from Calhoun,( John,Paul and I) the sheep skin also helps.:action:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.