Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Anyone got any good advice on how to add more foam to a 90 goldwing seat???:action:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

If you can find a small mom and pop upholstery shop they will likely be able to help you figure out what you need and then install it for you.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

If your going to do that, have them put in a gel pack.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Actually, what you want is a firmer seat, believe it or not. The soft stock seats on most cruisers have your butt screaming after 45 minutes. Put a firm Mustang on there, tack on another couple hours.

Might be the same with the Wings too. I had a guy redo my 83's seat with memory foam and gel, made a substantial difference.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I use a beaded seat cushion and can ride 5-6 hrs and still be ready to keep going by my HD friends are ready to give up long before that. Foot position makes a difference also.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

I like the DIY thing as momma says she is just fine. As for the leg room, I am all for it at 5'17" where do i put em. I had to get rid of the stock engine savers and get the 98, 99 ones to save my shins. I rode a friends (who knows less then I) 95 SE and it was fine, and he got the numb butt on mine too, do the diff models have better seats? I got the bike with a new in the box seat and an ole p.o.s. I can recover. I tried the beads and couldnt get used to em.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Not really a lot involved in doing your own seat, I redid mine on the 1200 & now the 1500 with success, remove the cover, mark the foam with marker & cut to shape with utility knife, I removed about 2" & replaced with 1" of better foam & gel pad from an automotive cushion. Both butts, mine & wife are happy. Bead's also help. :waving::waving::waving::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

You da man

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

That's a good looking 900 Custom in your avatar, where'd you find the seat? :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Also, I tried adding foam to my stock seat, It looked kinda goofey,and the foam didn't do much to help. Maybe a denser foam? An electric turkey carving knife cuts foam great, so I thought I'd throw that at ya. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Found that seat in a recycle yard in Florida, very comfy, put 118,000 on ole number 7. Not many folks recognize that one.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,962 Posts
imported post

There's a place in Florida that reforms andinstalls gel-pads in M/C seats pretty cheap. My brother had his ST1300 seat done there.

I don't know the name of the place, but you can probably just google your way to them. Meanwhile I'll try to get the info from the bro.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

AQUAMAN wrote:
Found that seat in a recycle yard in Florida, very comfy, put 118,000 on ole number 7. Not many folks recognize that one.
Bought my 1st Honda shaft drive in 1980,(CB900-C).

Hot-rodded/bored to 1,000cc in 82, and Mother brought out the CB1000-C in 83. I decided to stop trying to compete with the factory and bought an 84 Aspencade in 1986.

I've never looked back, but I've always had a soft spot for the 900's.:( :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
And the F

'80 750F Circa 1981
A little trivia. Honda used the same engine-block, and general Lay-out in all the DOHC 750/900/1000/1100 in line 4cyl series.

Terry Vance/Byron Hines took advantage of the NHRA/NDRA rules and the 100lb weight ruling,(cheating), and punched out thier CB1100F drag bike to 1300cc and thuroughly embarrassed the compitition to set world record runs first trip off the trailor. Lots of good fun back in the day... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

You guys are making me miss my '80 CB750C...
When I re-did my GL1200I seat, I bought a gel pad and memory foam off the internet, then took the cover off, cut out a section for the gel pad, then covered the whole thing with the memory foam and thin plastic sheet (to keep water out). Then re-installed the cover. Very simple and cheap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.