Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Sunday morning, waiting for the Chiefs to play and lose. I've started my maintenance program on my '89 which has no records, so beginning that now.

I did my first oil change two days ago, went with OEM filter and Mobil 1 4T synthetic motorcycle oil, all is good. This morning, I began my first effort in taking parts off and going in. I'm putting on a new OEM air filter, fuel filter and while there, considering a coolant change. So far, so good, with the tutorial on here, as well as a manual, it ain't bad!

Just tell me......when I got the cover off the air filter box, there sits thedirty oldfilter, with 8 acorn halves. HOW doTHOSE getall the way in there?? I looked and couldn't find a squirrel.....except the one holding the wrench and scratching his head.....

Go ahead, I know I'm dumb. Tell me how they did it. At least I'm brave enough to try something new at 51, right?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

The squrrel was a gynecologist and got in through the tailpipe.:action:

While you're at it, change out the timing belts since you don't know the service history.

(ps...I always hated shottenhiemer.)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yeah, we hated him too. Problem is, he was one of our best coaches ever. Game's starting now, need to find something to do or I'll watch it and be very unhappy.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

While you are in it that far, it would be a good idea to install new filter elements(You can make your own out of foam lawn mower air filters) for the Sub air filter, which is located under the right hand inner fairing cover ...

and the cruise valve element, which is located under the left fairing inner cover

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Instead of suspecting your average variety of tree rat,,, (squirrel) I would suspect it to be more along the line of mouses, or is it mices, or maybe even meces. Well you get the picture.

My 1200 had sat with the P/O for a long time and the airfilter box was full of all kind of bugs, seeds and usual garbage the little critters are so fond of!!

And don't complain about the Cheifs!!!

The Tampa Bay SUCS went from being at the top to now having to have the rest of their seaon determined by the cowboy vs who ever their playing!!!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Sorry, I am a faithful Chiefs fan, and we who red ARE complaining....lol....4 minutes left in the game and we're getting skunked by the Bengals 16-0. Just lost Carl Peterson as GM, and will probably have a coaching change. Something needs to happen!

I DID find all kinds of the seeds, bugs and crap in the filter, and I can see where the critters got in now. Don't know what this poor bike sat through before me, but she's gonna get better now.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

IRAQI RAM wrote:
The squrrel was a gynecologist and got in through the tailpipe.:action:

While you're at it, change out the timing belts since you don't know the service history.

(ps...I always hated shottenhiemer.)
Or maybe a proctologist??

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Probably a mouse or maybe a chipmunk. Either way, make sure you still have wiring that works. Munch munch, rodents love copper wires.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

By the way, one of our industrial customers had a $15,000 piece of laboratory equipment destroyed by a rodent. Makes me feel better about the $2000 GL1100 Aspencade they wrecked.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It is a good idea to change the sub filter every couple years, if the thing disintegrates as it often does, it allows bits of foam to be sucked into the vacuum system where it can and does cause a lot of mischief.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
imported post

you said you were considering a coolant change. if you dont know the history i would definatly change it also. whats the old sayin " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I am, but upon study, I see it's not really an empty and refill operation, but rather a flushing operation, including purchase of a flushing solution compatible with aluminum engines? Going to have to wait for warmer weather for the following water flush outside.

I DID get the air filter and fuel filters replaced though......and watched the Chiefs lose again! Can't wait to see how much they raise ticket prices again next year.....lol

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

What the Chiefs really need, and can't have, is another Hank Stram and Len Dawson.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
While you are in it that far, it would be a good idea to install new filter elements(You can make your own out of foam lawn mower air filters) for the Sub air filter, which is located under the right hand inner fairing cover ...

and the cruise valve element, which is located under the left fairing inner cover
Hell, you might as well replace the dessicant as well...........and the filter in the end of that cannister too. That's another all too-often overlooked item.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks to all. I could already see looking through the manual it's one of those things you could do constantly, with almost no end. Still, I expect the bike to take care of me while on the road, my turn in the garage this winter!

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Off topic but the Chiefs don't suck as bad as the Cowpokes did agaisnt the Eagles :cheeky1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.