Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally decided to use the thing. Thinking of trying to use it bluetoothed to my little phone as a handsfree set-up.

Anyone doing this? If so, how do you like it? I'm assuming it's capable of doing it.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I guess maybe both...

I haven't read the owners manual. Just went through the screen options....

There's bluetooth in it. I've a set-up screen for it. Bluetooth in my phone too, so...

I was thinking of being able to use the screen to display the stuff that my phone normally does, take and place calls, etc.. Essentially use the phone without having to touch it. The phone is small and lightweight. I made a velcro'd mount for it that puts it on my fairing as pic'd. I'm not worried about it going anywhere because its small and lightweight. The little screen on the front of the thing is all but useless because it is so small. More trouble (read: dangerous) than it's worth trying to see who called me when on the move. I'm thinking it would be nice to see the caller info on the screen of the Nuvi. I'm really interested in that more than anything else. At least I'll know wether the call is important enough to pull over and return it or if It can wait.

I'll have to see if it will do it. I've had it for a while but never even opened the box. Took it out today, charged it up and rode around a bit tonight and it works fine.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well, you're right, ...no Bluetooth. I had gone through the test pages and a Bluetooth test page came up, so I assumed it had it. I passed over the page thinking I'd play with it later.

Bummer.

I'm sure I knew it when I bought it though. It's just been a while. No option for Bluetooth in the normal screens either. Never even noticed that. Sorry people - didn't mean to bring ya'll here with screwy posting...

Everything except "BT Test mode" seems to go through a self-test though.

Maybe all it needs is a module and the software to run it? Too much trouble for that though... Maybe Garmin has a generic set of test pages for all of their stuff?

Here's a screenshot of the test page:

Attachments

·
Pwhoever
3,171 Posts
imported post

I think you might be right. They probably all utilize similar software and have different modules built into them. I know on the Nuvi 7XX series, the 755T did not have bluetooth but the 765T, 775T and the 785T did. On the 13XX series, the 1370T and the 1390T had bluetooth but the 1350T did not. I also have a Nuvi but have the 765T. Even though it has bluetooth, I was only able to make calls while it was in the car with an external mic that I had to purchase from Garmin. I was never able to get it to work with my setup on the bike. I think some had better success with the Zumos but at a much higher price. What I did have success with was going with a Droid X and that pretty much handles everything. Is there a chance of upgrading your phone? The navigation on it pretty much rivals Garmin. I can make also calls and play my MP3's. I still bring my Nuvi on longer trips and use it as a backup. The biggest drawback is that the Droid screen wants you to use a bare finger where the Nuvi's are touch sensitive. Not a real problem in warmer weather but once it starts cooling off, I may have to look at specialty gloves that have the metallic thread sewn into the finger tips. (I tried making my own but failed miserably) Or just forego calls and switch back to the Nuvi....

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I've got a BlackBerry, but I wanted a small phone to keep on the bike for bike stuff. Kinda like a Batphone in that I can keep seperate activities with seperate phone numbers. I usually leave the phone on the bike throghout the day and if somebody swipes it, it gets wet, the sun bakes it, etc., no big deal. My BB is another story.

I bought the Nuvi back when we were all looking at GPS pricing somewhere around last Christmas. The price was right. I bought two actually and gave one away. Must've been after Christmas because I don't recall giving it as a Christmas gift.

But, if the 70 and 90 had BT, then maybe running 70 or 90 software with its firmware and adding a BT module (they're kinda generic in most circumstances) might not be too far fetched.

I jumped the gun with this thread I suppose. I saw the test screen, recalled it as a set-up screen and my wondering started me rolling later, ...and here I started the the thread.

Always read the Owners manual... ;)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,842 Posts
imported post

What's an "owners manual"?? :badgrin:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah, I know, ...right.

I think of all the trouble I'd'a saved myself over the years if I'd've just read the Owners manual. :ROFL:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.