Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Maybe I'm just a retard, but I have a new o-ring for the left coolant pipe on top of my 79 goldwing 1000 that I'm trying to install, and every time I try to install it, part of the o-ring pops out. so it won't seat. It seems the o-ring is a little bit too big. I double checked the part number and its the correct one. I'm stumped. Any thoughts or advise:??

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Are you replacing all 4, and just have a problem with that one?

Are you lightly lubing the o-ring before assembly? Turn it back and forth as you push on it.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

try putting a little dc4 or vaseline to hold in place:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

which way is better, placing the o-ring inside where the pipe goes into or on the outside of the pipe.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

When I replaced the ones on my '76, I had to lube it lightly, place onto the outside of the tube. Then began to install. The o-ring wanted to ride over the small flair near the end. I solved that problem by inserting the bottom first. Then then pushing down on the tube slightly compressing that part of the O-ring. While compressing the o-ring, I used the back edge of a 90 degree pick to force the remainder of the o-ring into place. I then pushed the tube in slowly while pushing on the o-ring with the back edge of the pick. As they say "slow and steady, wins the race".

I thought that the problem I was having was the generic o-rings I had paid $0.25 apiece for.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

terry 208 , I ended up wrapping the o-ring with teflon tape and lubing it up. It slid right in with just a little effort. Thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I don't think I would leave the tape in there, but good luck with it...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have struggled with this in the past also. Lube of any kind will help a lot, I prefer Vaselene. Place the O Ring on the tube. Have it ABSOLUTELY Straight to the fitting. Steady pressure slowly increasing until it slides in. Every time I tried to twist one it would roll over the endge and ruin the O Ring.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Thanks Whiskerfish, I did try to go in straight, but every time I tried, the o-ring would pop out some where and I'd have to start over. I wrapped it with teflon tape and covered it with lube. That did the trick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.