Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello, Well I now know why the bike ran just great at full-throttle/high-rpm times, and only so-so for the rest of the operating regime. Aside from valve clearances and carb syncing, the two o-rings around the jets illustrated in the attached photo were not sealing anything. The engine must have been running excessively rich for in-town riding, but I didn't really notice anything really bad. It idled well and was just a little rough at lower rpms.

I had already by-passed the air-valve and operated the bike for 2 hours at 5000-8000 rpm on a windy mountain secondary highway. Ran great for this short trip, but fuel economy sucked- literally!

I don't really want to spend $90 to $100 for carb kits. I do have all of the other required o-rings and float gaskets but these 2 o-rings (actually 8) are too hard to fit. Any o-ring I try is just a little too fat to push the jet into position... Ideas appreciated. Thanks everyone, Jim - a GURU-Wanabee!

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Place your parts under a heat lamp and use some silicone grease on the o rings. Just make certain that the o rings do not get cut as you push them in gently.

Are you sure that the o rings are the correct size? Remember this is metric not SAE sizes.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

These were tight on mine as well. I used petrolatum (petroleum jelly) to lubricate them and they went right in. It's always good to use an assembly lube like petrolatum on fuel system parts... it helps ensure that the rubber parts slide in theway they're supposed to and don't bind or kink.

Hope this helps.

Marco

Ashland, OR

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Thanks boyett. I am in dire need of a pilot screw "o" ring for my GL1200...Great site for these little buggers... :clapper:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.