Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend of mine who recently removed the rear wheel to re-grease the splines, found one of the "O" rings damaged, he didnt replace it, the reason being he couldnt find one locally? He keeps asking me what is the reason for these "O" rings? expecting me to say "oh they're superflous and not needed". Looking at them and knowing the amount of grime present in the area of the rear wheel while riding, I assume them to be a dust or grease seal. I keep telling him that Honda engineers would not put them in in the first place if they were not needed. Maybe you guys could shed some light and give some direction to this poor soul. :)

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

When the wheel is in the bike the O ring on theoutside of the flangeseals the end of the female spline in the rear drive to the driven flange. The inside one does the same thing between the driven flange and the wheel.Keeps the grease in and the water out... Hopefully!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

I always wondered how effective those O rings were. I guess they must at least keep some of the dust out and are worth having for that.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
I always wondered how effective those O rings were. I guess they must at least keep some of the dust out and are worth having for that.
It all helps Eric. Can't do any harm to replace them anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I have replaced them a couple of times... I once had to actually replace the gear set and wheel flange on my 1200... very pricey!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
They are squeezed in there pretty good, I didn't see any sign that much dirt or water had gotten in when I had my wheel off so I think they do the job.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
I have replaced them a couple of times... I once had to actually replace the gear set and wheel flange on my 1200... very pricey!
Yes those parts come dear. It cost me $179 including tax for new rubber dampers and the aluminum inserts for my 1500. If I had rear drive problems I wouldn't bother buying parts, I'd just replace the rear drive with a used one from a trike conversion. Odds are they won't have many miles on them and they are cheap. They can easily be adapted to the 1200.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

Hi, I the new guy. I have a 87' Interstate that I love to ride. Recently iI had the rear tire replaced @ 97000 and the mechanic said the Splines look in need of replacement. He never tdocument.write('/forums/images/emoticons/confused.gif');old me how much and I was wondering if anyone had experiance in this area.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Lordy, I feel somewhat like an archaeologist in digging up this old thread. But I had nothing to do the other nite so I decided to relube my rear end:blackstuff:(now stop that laughing) I guess that, after reading the latest how to, posted by the wingnut, on getting to the final drive splines, and seeing thepicture of the awful spline, it gave me incentive. After I got it all apart andinspected, the drive shaft splines were well lubed, but the driven flange splines were almost dry and beginning to show mild wear. I also dug out of the spline cavity on the pumpkin, the remnants of an old O ring, but there was still one in its proper place. BTW, this bike had its last service at a Honda place by the PO. That is when a search found this thread.

I just want topossibly be a little more descriptive as to the placement of these O rings on the GL1500. The smaller of the twopushes over the splines of the driven flange and setsat the back of the splines in a groove. Thelarger of the two actually sets in agroove on the wheel,almost exactly dead center over the bearing. I lubed it up well with moly paste and it made it quite easy to fit the driven flange down over the O ring( it takes a bit of wiggling and some pressure).

I only add this because the book is very vague about this, and that little O ring is hard to see. Hope it may help someone.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Yes this is a mighty old thread :smiler:But educational for the new comers, not only to the forum but to Goldwings. To show how inportant it is to lube the splines and replace the O rings . And there is a third O ring that everyone seems to forget that should be addressed also. I also have an old thread that might informational and helpful:)

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/Elusive%203rd%20O-Ring.htm

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Those O rings are cheap... keep out grime... and probably aid in keeping the wheel flange from chattering and unduly wearing the female splines.

Also... just a word of advice. Not all 1500 rear ends are the same. one must be careful of the length of that distance collar. When I installed mine last week... I kept farting around with it and couldn't get it to tighten up correctly. it was in a bind.

Low and behold... Two different distance collars. The rear end fits... the distance collar that came with it was about 8mm too short...

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Right winger wrote:
Yes this is a mighty old thread :smiler:But educational for the new comers, not only to the forum but to Goldwings. To show how inportant it is to lube the splines and replace the O rings . And there is a third O ring that everyone seems to forget that should be addressed also. I also have an old thread that might informational and helpful:)

http://www.valkyrieriders.com/shoptalk/Elusive%203rd%20O-Ring.htm
Well, I will be a horses a$$. That illusive third O ring is exactly the one that I took out in three pieces, and thought it was someones mistake. I can find no reference to it in the clymer. Well, my final drive is missing that ring, and will until I change my rear tire. Also, when I went to the Honda shop to get my O rings, the "boy" looked them up and made no mention of that third ring.

Nice bit of info.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

:smiler:Good !now you know of it's existance and you have the part number. Get er done next time :smiler:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

It's worth the hassle to do it right the first time. A friend of mine who had his bike service regularly at a local shop ended up replacing the entire rear end, due to "lack of lubrication to the splines"... which the same shop had supposedly done when replacing the tire a couple of years earlier. And less than 40K on the bike. Some $500 later (at a different shop) the whole problem was solved, but OUCH!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

:)I've heard tell of thatquite frequently That's what happens when you don't change the O rings and use to right lube

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.