Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Wow- search shows almost NO tire threads.... Who are you guys, and what have you done with the motorcycle forum members?

Well, since I could not *find* a 100 page tire thread, I'll just have to try and start one :: grin ::

5 days and counting until I pick up the 1100i Friday night.

The current owner tells me that the tires on it have less than 1000 miles on them, but are over 10 years old. Time to start looking at tires, and that means asking for recommendations.

Things to consider:

I currently ride a zip-splat (Buell Firebolt, specifically) and I have always been a fairly aggressive rider- I don't see that changing on the Wing.

I ride a bit- 12-15K miles a year on the Buell, most of that in the 6 months of decent riding weather we get out here (I just commute on it in the winter) I am anticipating 25-30K on the Wing, just because it won't cripple me within 450 miles like the Buell does.

I ain't rich :: grin ::

Having ridden Sportbikes and power cruisers for the last 7-8 years, I have a huge distaste for Dunlops

I ride year-round in Denver.

Sooooo- all that taken into consideration, I am looking for a magic tire that will stay stuck to the road while dragging hard parts in a snow storm, last for bazillion miles and doesn't cost a fortune. Before it comes up, it's an '82, so darksiding probably isn't an option.

Ready!
Set!
ARGUE!

Merlyn

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi :waving:type in TIRES and search ,lot of threads ,also type in TYRES (european spelling) lots of threads there also ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Aw, he's just messing with us.

Try Dunlops,:dude: now we are messing with him. They may no last a gazillion miles, but they do get a few more miles.

Also, you will be forced to keep the bike on two tires, so that should help. :coollep:

You would probably like the Avons or Metz for performance.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

I have Elite II on my 85 GL1200I I am not so sure I am completely satisfied with them....... not sure what it is.... I was going to ask the same question about tires I have seen many threads and no tire seemed to stand out in any of them.

Kevin E

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Aw, he's just messing with us.

Try Dunlops,:dude: now we are messing with him. They may no last a gazillion miles, but they do get a few more miles.

Also, you will be forced to keep the bike on two tires, so that should help. :coollep:

You would probably like the Avons or Metz for performance.
Hurray Dunlops- They come pre-cupped from the factory for your convenience, to save you the hassle of actually having to RIDE your motorcycle!

Also, it appears you have caught me out- that's the secret to tire conservation on a zip-splat... A front tire will last through 2 rears, cause it's only on the ground half as much! After a week of commuting on the Interstate, I have come to the conclusion that "accidental stoppies" are NOT going to be an issue with this bike- but I am going to be buying LOTS of replacement floorboards...

Still reading though old threads looking for tire comparisons.

Merlyn

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

I have E3's on my Wing, and Metzler 880's on my Sabre.
I could really cut thru the twisties on the road from Woodland Pard, up thru Deckers, to Silver Springs and back on 285, to Littleton. I put over 30K on my wing the first two years I had it. (plus what I put on the Sabre).
I miss Ridin' the Rockies.
Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

....but I am going to be buying LOTS of replacement floorboards...
Later, when you upgrade to the 1800, you would really like the performance of that bike. Sportier, power, handling, etc. Wheelies too, ha.

My GWRRA director really pushes his 1800 wing through the twisties.He has worn his floorboard plum out. In a parking lot, he wouldscrap themcontinuously in a circle with a passenger on back. His riding style is different, pushes to edge, and is really really into safety. It is a skill thing for him. He says asplat guy really needs to be a good rider to stay up with him on his wing.

He just gota brand new Rune and totaled it at 70 in the turns. He said he was not quite use to it yet in that the performance is different from the GW. He was to pick up a second new Rune acouple of week ago.

Have fun, ride safely. Well, be safe within your abilities.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
....but I am going to be buying LOTS of replacement floorboards...
Later, when you upgrade to the 1800, you would really like the performance of that bike. Sportier, power, handling, etc. Wheelies too, ha.

My GWRRA director really pushes his 1800 wing through the twisties.He has worn his floorboard plum out. In a parking lot, he wouldscrap themcontinuously in a circle with a passenger on back. His riding style is different, pushes to edge, and is really really into safety. It is a skill thing for him. He says asplat guy really needs to be a good rider to stay up with him on his wing.

He just gota brand new Rune and totaled it at 70 in the turns. He said he was not quite use to it yet in that the performance is different from the GW. He was to pick up a second new Rune acouple of week ago.

Have fun, ride safely. Well, be safe within your abilities.
Sounds like a fun guy to ride with! If either of you (or anyone else here for that matter) find yourself in the Denver area... drop me a line!

I am starting to get used to the Wing already- I made it a whole day without putting a floorboard on the road by accident today!

Brakes, fork seals, plugs and a valve adjustment this weekend. Timing belts, tensioners and valve guide seals next weekend. Wheel bearing check and carbs the week after, if the Seafoam and BG44K haven't done the job already by then. Tires in there somewhere as finances allow. Then all she will need is a few hundred miles of road a week to keep her happy - and maybe install an espresso machine in the fairing somewhere, just to thumb my nose at the fans of the "OldWing" jokes. :D

So- back on topic...

So far, the Avons sound pretty good, there are a lot of misguided Dunlop fans about :: grin :: and while I've never ridden Metzler's touring tires, they make a great performance radial (I liked the Sportecs on various zip-splats I've piloted)

Couple of others I am curious about, wonder if anyone has tried them:

Does Pirelli make anything in my sizes? Has anyone tried them? I am and always have been a huge Pirelli fan.

Kenda: I've run them on several cruisers, back in the day- worked *great* on my V65, sun rain and even snow a couple of times. Any opinions from folks who have tried them on the Wing?

Contential: I haven't run them since the late 80s, and that was on a 440 Kaw. Any good?

Bridgestone: She's got 10 year old Spitfires on her now- they ride okay, but got a touch loose this morning at 18 degrees.... Anyone have a story about fresh ones?

Radials: One of the more popular upgrades for the V65 Magna and Sabre is to run 110 and 150 radials on them- usually D205s (I think) or Avon AV45/46s. Can you get radials that'll fit on an 82, and if so, has anyone tried it and lived to tell the tale?

Any others I've missed. The only tires I won't at least consider are Chen-Shing and Tomohawks.

Merlyn

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I bought Metzlers for my 81 GL1100.
I have a110/90-19 ME880 on the front and a 130/90-17ME88 on the rear.

I have been very pleased with these tires they are holding up quite well with aprox10,000 miles on them in a year. They still have quite a bit of life left on them.

I noticed that they handled much better than the dunlops that were on there previously. The biggest improvement was the handling in the rain that we get a lot of down here in Florida.

Peter

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

I'm on my second set of Venom Xs on my 83 and love them enough not to evenconsider going to another brand. I got almost 15k out of my first set and will probably see that on these. I do however run higher tire pressures than most, I think, at 42f and 44r(cold). They handle all types of road conditions with ease and make the bike handle sporty like. I do also run Ride-On tire sealent in them for piece of mind. I bought mine from: http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/. Quick shipping, fairly fresh tire IDs, and the prices aren't bad either. $99 for the front and $124 for the back.

Good luck in whatever direction you decide to go.

Regards,

Hobie:action:

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I put a Kenda on the front of my 83I about 8,000 miles ago. I'd say I still have 70% tread left on it. I'm not a very aggressive driver however, kind of a speed limit guy.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Merilyn

If you wanna meet with some really great folks in the Denver area, visit this site.

http://thesabrehood.org/

We are a group called the Rocky Mountain Sabres (Honda Shadow Sabre) (RMS).
They have gatherings all year round. Ride the Rockies, party, Mod days, etc.
You don't have to be a Sabre owner, just enjoy riding.
Tell em I sent ya, and they still may let ya join em.

And, yea, they're more in your age group. I'm considered the Old Fart of the group.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.