Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

octane? now days things are able to run on about anything. What should I run in my 83? I got gas the other day and it's pinging and running like crap, I looked in my manual for my 78 ( don't have one for the 83) and couldn't find a rating. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

mine's a 98 and I just run 86 octane. It does very well , no knocking or pinging.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,517 Posts
imported post

87 octane is all Honda recommends and it does a good job.

The higher octanes are harder to get a spark to fire, so actually make it worse if your spark system is a bit weak.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

The GL1100's were designed to run on 87 octane gas. Run some Sea Foam through a couple tanks of gas, it will help to clean up the carbs.

Wow........Looks like three of us replied at the same time. That doesn't happen very often....!

·
Administrator
27,785 Posts
imported post

I had to use midgrade or premium in my 83 in hot weather to stop it from pinging at mid range RPM pulling hills or accelerating. I just assumed the timing was advancing a little further than it should have but never bothered to find out for sure, wasn't a big deal to me.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks folks, I think that I just got some bad gas, I'll drain it and put in some seafoam, not may good riding days left without Carharts here.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

highcountry wrote:
octane? now days things are able to run on about anything. What should I run in my 83? I got gas the other day and it's pinging and running like crap, I looked in my manual for my 78 ( don't have one for the 83) and couldn't find a rating. Thanks

If it just started "pinging" after you got gas, its reasonable to presume the gas is suspect...the actual "octane" may be lower than rated (cheap gas?), and therefore more "volatile", or easily ignited. :baffled:

It is true that the higher rated octanes are less volatile (by design), and therefore have less tendency to "diesel", or ignite prematurely. Some otherthings that can cause premature ignition might be excessive high compression, caused by carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, or as mentioned, timing too far advanced, or rarely...a burned head gasket leaking hot gas into an adjacent cylinder or some type of thin projection (carbon spur or metal burr)in the chamber that is "glowing" and acting like a glow plug. :waving:

(oops! I see I was too late & a dollar short...again! :()

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

when I got my 1200 I put cheap 86 in it, ran ok after warm up. but since then I switched to the higher stuff(heck its a bike a fill up only cost you about .75 or so more for the good stuff) and the bike runs much better on it. I have the same problem if I put cheap 85 or 86 octane gas in my 89 5.0 really pings and doesnt have as much get up and go as when I run 92 or 93 in it (even back in 89 when it was new it did it so I know its not because its older) although back then about the highest octane I could get was 90. It is amazing what 4 octane points will do.

I do agree with AZ though, check your plugs and keep em clean.

PS. when I get bad gas my wife kicks me outa the bed room
:dude:

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

I run regular old 87 Octane in my Aspy. Never had a problem with it. But then I did rebuild the carbs with Randakk's kit, & precisely set the float levels. Getting on average 41 mpg. I tried running the premium on a couple tanks and noticed zero difference.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,517 Posts
imported post

I noted a few guys have mentioned their 88/89 1500s seem to ping on 87 octane.

I just got to wondering if those particular bikes had the 4 degree wheel installed? If so, that would enhance the tendency to ping.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I used to use Shell 93 octain until they went with the Nitrogen Additive. Now, I just use Texaco.
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I need to run 93 in mine.

Mine was past pingging and well into knocking on 86.

I can run at much lower RPM's with more power as well.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

The '83 Aspencade Owner's Manual says:

Pump Octane of 86 or higher,

or a Research Octane of 91 or higher.

If 'knocking' or 'pinging' occurs try a different brand of gasoline or higher octane grade.

This is the time of year that some suppliers change over to their 'winter' blend, which may explain the change in performance.

And can anyone explain why the HD's seem to prefer Chevron and line up at the high octane pump?

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
The '83 Aspencade Owner's Manual says:

Pump Octane of 86 or higher,

or a Research Octane of 91 or higher.

If 'knocking' or 'pinging' occurs try a different brand of gasoline or higher octane grade.

This is the time of year that some suppliers change over to their 'winter' blend, which may explain the change in performance.

And can anyone explain why the HD's seem to prefer Chevron and line up at the high octane pump?
Interesting observation.... now that I think of it the Chevron down the road was loaded with HD's last weekend during Thunder Beach.

Think I'll try a tank or two of mid-grade and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Thanks all, I over looked the small thing on this one. I started to drain the tank and feed the bad gas to my Isuzu but when I opened the petcock nothing came out. Pulled the gas cap and it ran like a garden hose. I've tapped on it, blew it out and cussed it several times and it's still a little slower with the cap on, not sure how they work but they seem to be a problem on a lot of bikes.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I've found that the top of the line Shell gas runs the best. I did also sync. my carbs, which does improve performance. Valve adjustment also made a change, had one which was tight. I purchased expensive plugs, was a waste of money, cheap ones run the same and I replace the plugs at the start of every riding season.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I usually use Chevron 87 octane in my '83 Interstateand never have had a pinging problem. Here in WA all gas has 10% ethanol year round and this has lowered the MPG's on my '83 Wing.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

83GoldWinger:

On the way to the Oyster Run I filled up with Union 76 premium in Sedro Wooley. Would the ethanol content explain my 10% drop in MPG?

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
83GoldWinger:

On the way to the Oyster Run I filled up with Union 76 premium in Sedro Wooley. Would the ethanol content explain my 10% drop in MPG?
:waving:It's very possible that the ethanol caused your mileage to drop like that. When you got back north of the border and gassed up did your mileage go back up? Also high speeds will lower MPG's as well as headwinds.What speed were you running?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i use the ethanol blend never had a problem i run seafoam treatment every 5th or 6th tank of gas and 100miles in the crank case before every oil change

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.