Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went for a ride and all was well. Then as I shifted to 5th the OD light came on slow and weak. The next time I shifted to 5th, the light didn't come on at all. Only one other time it kinda flashed on for a fleeting moment and was out again.

I haven't had time to start looking and was hoping someone can guide me to the first places to look/check out.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Mine did that a few weeks ago and soon after thati found thebattery dead and totally dry of fluid.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just put a new AGM battery in along with having the alternator rebuilt.

I thought it acted like a loose wire or something to that effect. And was wondering where that might be. What actually activates the OD light?????

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

The gear indicator is on the lower right hand side.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

rhughes wrote:
It sound like indicator switch need to be clean. Lee

Spray electrical connection with cleaner or brush, sand paper, the connections

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

I would go for the bulb itself when you think about it its on most of the time i replaced one on mine along with some of the other panel lights and did the one inside the LCD display, the switch is inside the engine casing but the plug for it is just behind the right side lower faring so you could test the lamp with a meter from this point

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Sometimes before one of these peanut bulbs go out, they will dim, or work intermittently. Mine did the same on my 1500 (twice now since I've owned it) and I replaced the bulb and all was well. Use a #161 bulb, they are cheap and it isn't hard to replace, just remove the little filler side piece between the left handlebar and the pocket, reach under the instrument panel behind the bulb and pull the plug out. :)

Gene:waving:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

GLester wrote:
Sometimes before one of these peanut bulbs go out, they will dim, or work intermittently. Mine did the same on my 1500 (twice now since I've owned it) and I replaced the bulb and all was well. Use a #161 bulb, they are cheap and it isn't hard to replace, just remove the little filler side piece between the left handlebar and the pocket, reach under the instrument panel behind the bulb and pull the plug out. :)

Gene:waving:
Thanks for the info,,,,,,,,,,,thought I would have to take the dash apart to get to the bulbs. I'll try your method first chance I get. Things are a bit hecktic right now.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Mill Rat wrote:
rhughes wrote:
It sound like indicator switch need to be clean. Lee

Spray electrical connection with cleaner or brush, sand paper, the connections
Binging back this old post since I don't have the problem solved yet. I do beleive it's the switch. But according to my manual, it is located at the water pump. This seems excessive to me. Do I have to disassemble the damn pump to get to this switch.

Tell me I've got something confused,,,,,,,,,:gunhead:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If it's the switch you probably won't be able to set the cruise once in OD and cruising. It will think it's in first.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

The Switch is on left side, under the bottom front. I think you can get to it with out removeing fairing parts ( My bike is in storage or I take look)

But it size of siveral dollar with tabs around it, with wires attached. All I did was wipe all electrial connection & spray electrical spray. But my waswere dirty!! I also clean foot shifter switch, they are both in same area, they also connect to each other!! ( Just looked undershifting foot pedal to see both)

I hopethis help you, it it doesn't this is also place to test for electrical problems!! I hope for the best, Lee ( Mill Rat )

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Binging back this old post since I don't have the problem solved yet. I do believe it's the switch. But according to my manual, it is located at the water pump. This seems excessive to me. Do I have to disassemble the damn pump to get to this switch.
That is my understanding. It is in front of the engine and yes, it is buried to where the pump and front cover has to come off. I believe the switch was mounted on the housing cover and has to be aligned to re-install.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Right side of the bike, under the engine cover plate where the oil filter is.
The switch is on the inside of that plate which mounts on the top of the right side colling fan shroud.
The plug in for it is the very front lower plug (C59) which can be seen but not accessed by removing the right side fairing amber running light.
The cable travels down the forward side of the right fan frame.
You can follow it to the cover that way.
The switch is not accessible without removing that cover plate.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Right side of the bike, under the engine cover plate where the oil filter is.
The switch is on the inside of that plate which mounts on the top of the right side colling fan shroud.
The plug in for it is the very front lower plug (C59) which can be seen but not accessed by removing the right side fairing amber running light.
The cable travels down the forward side of the right fan frame.
You can follow it to the cover that way.
The switch is not accessible without removing that cover plate.
YEP,,,,,,,,, thats it alright. I dont' think I want to go that far just to get the indicator light to work. It will flicker once it a great while, so I wonder if it's just a contact issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.