Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 SE with 202,598 miles....Just started this morning. Took the Wing out for a ride and noticed that both of my blinker dash lights were on..but dimly. When I tried to use the turn signals, I would get no response. Also noticed that my saddlebag light and brake lights were out and brake light did not work!..HOWEVER..this was only when the bike was IN GEAR. In neutral, the turn signals worked, brake lights work, the saddlebag light were on and all seemed good. Turned around and went home to troubleshoot.

Before the questions begin:

1. Saddlebag, trunk, ring of fire, side trunk lights, hand control lights and side lights on fairing were changed to LED / LED strips 2years ago and have been working fine since.
2. Some of the bulbs in the dash were change to LED..still working, changed over about the same time as above.
3. Nothing new..except a new outlet for my GPS has recently been install (on a completely separate ckt).
4. As I said the bike was running fine yesterday when I took a run to the store....now today I have issues

I'm assuming the issue may be a bad relay (#2 or #3)..but I have rotated multiple relays with no change...go in gear...light go out!

Will take any thoughts ...suggestions

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Sounds more like a bad ground wire somewhere. So much plastic you have no real place to ground and on the Wings they use very few grounds to frame and then to battery.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Weird! So...when the neutral light is ON, all is good. When it is OFF, several lights malfunction??

That's a new one on me, but there must be some connection between the neutral light circuit & the rest that is causing the problem.

Possibly the circuits share a ground, provided when the neutral light is on (circuit completed), but disappearing when the light is off (ground lost)...? Dunno - just thinking out loud here...

I'm sure one of the electrical gurus will chime in here shortly with a more helpful answer!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Yes a common ground, when the neutral light is on it makes a completed ground run to the others.
Clean all the grounds. And while you are in there clean all the electrical connectors. The insides of these fairings create dust swirling around all the parts under the tupperware including the connectors.

Weird! So...when the neutral light is ON, all is good. When it is OFF, several lights malfunction??

That's a new one on me, but there must be some connection between the neutral light circuit & the rest that is causing the problem.

Possibly the circuits share a ground, provided when the neutral light is on (circuit completed), but disappearing when the light is off (ground lost)...? Dunno - just thinking out loud here...

I'm sure one of the electrical gurus will chime in here shortly with a more helpful answer!

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Every single plug, light socket, terminal connection gets a daub of Superlube synthetic grease in it on my bikes, its salt water proof for starters, looks like vaseline.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This describes my issue to a "T"....side panels will be coming off and ground points checked!!
Well.....after removing all the Tupperware and finding the two common ground connectors...this is not my problem! They looked factory fresh, with the exception of tape residue and dirt of 202,000+ miles. I did spray them with a contact cleaner/lub and then taped them back in to the harness....I also replace Relays 2 & 3 with brand new relays. My thoughts are now with it being the battery. I currently have the battery on a charger and it fully charged overnight. After a few minutes of having the bike turned on ..running..(Volt meter showed 14.2 V), then turning off the bike...the charger was in process of charging again!

I removed anything I had previously done to the bike...all lights added were checked for bad connections...SO...I do believe the battery may be the culprit! Should know by Friday (Estimated delivery : Fri 6/27/2014 by 8:00 pm)...when the new Big Crank Battery arrives!!

I don't have a lot of extra lights on the bike..actually replaced most with LED's or LED strips. I am running with a Compufire and an AGM battery. Only the turn signals and brake lights are incandescent bulbs..and of course the headlights. I do pull a trailer and yes it has an isolator.. I also have a taillight Wigwag that was working but now currently is not, due to my issue.

I still have the left saddlebag off the bike to access the relay panel and fuses..but most of the other plastic is back firmly in place..hoping not to have to remove it again.

Crossing fingers! :shock:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...so next question is...what deity do I have to make a sacrifice to to clear up this freaking grounding issue??? I have been all over this Wing trying to correct the problem. I have replaced relays 2 & 3, pull off every piece of plastic looking at ground point, cleaned and cleared multiple connectors, checked fuses and replaced a 7 year old battery. If I had more hair on my head I'd be pulling it out! I was hoping to be out riding before the weekend, but it appears not...will be spending my Saturday troubleshooting the issue. And to make matters a bit worse...last night my water heater decided to spill it self in my laundry room! (it has been replaced already however...but took me away from the bike for a few hours).

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Have you checked the ground (green) wire at the 22-pin Blue connector under the seat..? Check for continuity to ground on both sides of that connector.

Also, have you checked the ground point on the radiator near the thermostatic fan motor switch..? That provides a ground for a lot of functions on the bike.

Does your bike start in gear with the clutch pulled in and the side stand up........?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After getting everything back together..we took a ride today. Everything seemed to be working fine...the the issue starts again......This time however, there was a strong acrid smell that was coming from the trunk area....brake light would go out while in gear!! Turns out that my wig-wag unit took it's last wag and caused the loss of brakelights! Don't remember who made it, but it was installed in 1996, so I got my money's worth!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
WingPilot, It might have been helpful if you had mentioned about having a "Wigwag Unit" on your bike in your original post. Its helps troubleshooting when all information is given particularly with electrical issues.

I have known "WigWag Units" to create problems before.

After getting everything back together..we took a ride today. Everything seemed to be working fine...the the issue starts again......This time however, there was a strong acrid smell that was coming from the trunk area....brake light would go out while in gear!! Turns out that my wig-wag unit took it's last wag and caused the loss of brakelights! Don't remember who made it, but it was installed in 1996, so I got my money's worth!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WingPilot, It might have been helpful if you had mentioned about having a "Wigwag Unit" on your bike in your original post. Its helps troubleshooting when all information is given particularly with electrical issues.

I have known "WigWag Units" to create problems before.
If you had read a bit closer or all the posts, you would have seen that I did mention the device in one of my entries!!

"I don't have a lot of extra lights on the bike..actually replaced most with LED's or LED strips. I am running with a Compufire and an AGM battery. Only the turn signals and brake lights are incandescent bulbs..and of course the headlights. I do pull a trailer and yes it has an isolator.. I also have a taillight Wigwag that was working but now currently is not, due to my issue."

I know it's better to have all the info...so I generally provide it! This unit was original to the bike..put it on when I bought the bike.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Its usually best to include everything in the "original post". It just saves a lot of further "unnecessary" questions and answers.

Have a good day, glad you found the problem.

If you had read a bit closer or all the posts, you would have seen that I did mention the device in one of my entries!!

"I don't have a lot of extra lights on the bike..actually replaced most with LED's or LED strips. I am running with a Compufire and an AGM battery. Only the turn signals and brake lights are incandescent bulbs..and of course the headlights. I do pull a trailer and yes it has an isolator.. I also have a taillight Wigwag that was working but now currently is not, due to my issue."

I know it's better to have all the info...so I generally provide it! This unit was original to the bike..put it on when I bought the bike.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its usually best to include everything in the "original post". It just saves a lot of further "unnecessary" questions and answers.

Have a good day, glad you found the problem.
I agree..but at the time..I didn't think it was an issue. Have a good day yourself!:thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.