Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

SO, we are reassambling the box of parts that we got with the bike we bought. It was somewhat assembled. This weight has a big warning sign on it. we are wondering if it is very important?? Or is it not really needed. Some advice would be great if anyone knows what this is.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Should be the counter weight that mounts to the front forks, I am shure someone will be along with info about running with or without.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Used on full dress models, the Interstates and Aspencades, to off-set the weight of the trunk and bags on the rear of the bike. Guess they weigh more than a fully loaded fairing. Standards don't have them.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

The Standards with a Vetter or other after market fairing, bags, etc..... still have the headlight bucket on it to give it the counter weight. USE THE WEIGHT!!!!

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Had one of those weights on my 84 Aspy, used to counterbalance weight in the rear and help keep the front wheel on the road during heavy acceleration.
Probably a REALLY GOOD IDEA to use the weight.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and welcome live wire . As the warning says DO NOT ride without the weight if you have the fairing installed . There should be a plastic box where the wires bundle up . There should be two brakets to mount the plastic box and weight to the forks . The weight mounts between the upper and lower fork clamps. The weight covers the plastic box . This box acts as a junction point much like a headlight bowl would on a standard bike .

If you go to this link Ohio, Florida, Honda, Parts, Accessories, dealer, Honda Direct LIne you can look around at the parts fiche and get an idea how it fits together perhaps.

Good luck with this project and please visit with us often . We are happy to help out .

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

live wire, Welcome to the worlds greatest goldwing forum from Waco Tx.

Yep, you havea sure conversationpeice. One says it's not needed, another says it is. Some say it's to counter the lift from the fairing, others argue it is a steering damper to help reduce the harmonics of thedreaded front wheel wobble. Mounts on the forks just behind the head light on motorcycle with faring. I suppose I'd mount it back on when assembling the faring back on just because it was there. Mine is still in there on my 82.:baffled:Keno

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

I read somewhere that the weight is supposed to help counter the lift that the fairing can create when you are at speed.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

That weight is indeed a steering dampener. Has nothing to do with lift or offsetting the weight of a trunk.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for the input, I'm sure I'll have many questions to follow as I see this a being a fair bit of work in the future. For now I will install it over the junction box behind the head light and see what happens. I understand that this might be a good time to re do the bearings in the triple trees while I have everything off the bike. any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Hi live wire. If you have a question about redoing your steering bearings, I would post a new question in the tech forum. Otherwise, members will look at this post, about an odd looking weight, and never respond to your new question.

mikef :waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.