Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did the aux input mod on my '89 GL1500. I did the one where you need a 'fake' cassette. And...it kinda doesn't work. When using my Galaxy S3 it doesn't sense it as something being plugged into the headphone port so the sound just keeps coming out the phone speaker. However it works just fine with an iPod. Any ideas? Is this a problem with my phone?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I don't know much about the S3 but it sounds to me like you have an incorrect plug for your S3... Some of the plugs are 3 segment - tip, ring, sleeve, and others are tip, ring, ring, sleeve, or 4 connections... Do you know for sure which one you have in the S3??? You might need an adapter cable to get from the 4 segment cable to the 3 segment cable... It sounds like your S3 uses a 4 segment plug and your cassette adapter is using a 3 segment (stereo) plug...

In terms of the "aux mod" for your 1500, the one I think of when that term comes up is where you physically modify your 1500 radio's input using a relay internally and bringing out a stereo input lead for your MP3 or phone device and a switch which operates the relay to change the input over from AM/FM to the aux stereo connector which now comes out of the radio...

Are you saying your using a cassette adapter to feed aux audio into your system??? Is this what you are calling the "aux mod" or does your radio really have the "aux mod" in it as shown below???

http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

Les

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the mod at the bottom of the link you posted - no switch required. And - YOU'RE RIGHT! I hadn't used the headphones that came with my S3, but they do in fact have a 4 segment plug. Off to Radio Shack again tomorrow. Thanks much!

·
Pwhoever
3,342 Posts
I know on both my Motorola Droid X and my HTC Rezound, they have the TRRS audio jack which is the same as yours (tip and 3 rings).

I use it for mostly for my MP3's and navigation. On my car, I have an audio cord that only has the tip and 2 rings. I then just use the phone mic for hands free calls. It works fine. On the bike though, I am using an adapter (Headset Buddy) that utilizes all 4 as I needed to use my helmet mic for phone calls.

But the point I am trying to make is that you should be able to use a regular stereo audio cord just fine. I use both. Mechanically when an audio cord is plugged into the S3, the external speaker on the phone should be disabled. There isn't any kind of sensing either from the phone or the device that it is plugged into that an external audio cord is plugged in. That extra part/ring is only for utilizing an external microphone. If the mod is working on the ipod just fine, there may be a problem with the audio jack on the S3. Did you try plugging in the headphones and see if that turns off the external speaker?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea now I'm more confused. I just tried a set of my son's headphones that are TRS - they work fine and shut off the phone's speaker as they should. I'm wondering if it's something about the S3. I saw on an android site that there is an app to control what happens when something is plugged into the headphone port. Will try that next...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.