Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Any idea what it is, and if it's important? It was stuck on there pretty good.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
looks like part of the battery box. My 82 has one of those to set the battery in in the battery box.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like part of the battery box. My 82 has one of those to set the battery in in the battery box.
It's about the exact size to fit the battery. It was also on the left side of the muffler. The battery is a bit loose in the holder as well. I think you may have solved this one :)

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder how it wiggled out of the battery holder. Looks like a fairly big piece.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I wonder how it wiggled out of the battery holder. Looks like a fairly big piece.
It can't.
If you've had the battery out it was a blond moment.
If the bike is new to you and you've never had the battery out you bought it from a blond.:grin:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can't.
If you've had the battery out it was a blond moment.
If the bike is new to you and you've never had the battery out you bought it from a blond.:grin:
Removed the battery for the first time today to put it on the tender. Found that bit while trying to remove the right header pipe. Minor (ok, huge) exhaust leak. ;-)

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
What I'd like to know is how do you get melted (residuals) from stuff like that off your mufflers? Any ideas. I have several spots where my plastic rain suit has melted to the muffler.. UGLY..

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I'd like to know is how do you get melted (residuals) from stuff like that off your mufflers? Any ideas. I have several spots where my plastic rain suit has melted to the muffler.. UGLY..
Same thing happened to my boots on the Ninja's chrome exhaust (much easier to get your boots on it). It's been there for years :(

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Some have said copper wool scrubber pads. Others said aluminum foil balled up cleans chrome well.
Amway used to sell a chrome and glass cleaner back in the 70s that was the best I have used on chrome but they no longer sell it. It was a hard paste in a tub that you wet a rag and rubbed the paste onto the rag. Lots of elbow grease with it did wonders on my chrome in NH in the 70s. Sure miss that stuff. It was the only thing I ever wanted from them.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
The melted part in question is the top insolator pad that goes on top of the battery at install .... and there is a more solid looking one that goes under the battery.

You set the battery in the bottom one,
place the top one on the battery with long side towards bike,
as you slip into place as a unit making sure to attach the loosely hanging vent hose that should be routed out below the bike.

Then close restraint / holder and fasten in place,
then attach pos "+" cable,
then neg "-" cable last.

Have you hugged your muffler today? :ROFL:

Use a thin straight razor blade at a shallow angle with light pressure to gently peel it off. It would likely help to use a light oil soked rag to wet between sessions, the oil will aide the blade's sliding across the chrome. Clean off with a second rag with some "2+2 Instant Gum Cutter" or simular product.

;)

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Odd thing melted on muffler

Warm it up and spray oven cleaner on it. let it do its thing and polish with aluminum foil. Had a fast food styrofoam cup stain on mine and took it all off that way. Not much elbow grease, either.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Thanks for all your ideas fellas. looking forward to trying .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have not tried it myself, but have been told that using EASY-OFF oven cleaner will help remove burned on things from chrome. HOWEVER, DO NOT allow it to get onto painted surfaces as it will remove paint. Again this is just what I have heard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.