Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On my Dad's bike, the speedometer works fine, but the odometer is not working. Is there a seperate wire/cable that comes from the black box by the wheel, or is it coming from the speedometer?? Need help.....my 1100's are cable, and he wants to know what to do to get it fixed.

It is a 84 GL1200Aspy with a digital speedometer

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Sorry William, it is a 84 GL1200, the speedometer works it is digital, the odometer is not working. It sits off to the lower left side of the dash part. The odometer looks like it could be mechanical??

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There should be a little motor driving the odometer, but you're right, there is just 1 electronic connection between the wheel and the back of the head assembly. The speedo runs of a square wave pulse from the front wheel sensor, the odometer runs off a little electric motor.

If you're real brave and handy, there are plenty of GL1200 Aspencade dashes on ebay right now, you could mix and match parts and fix your odometer.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I figured it would be a real easy fix!:X Thanks Sam.....I'll start the search!

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Hey Bill...........Why don't you just go to the junkyard and find another cluster with the same miles as you did for yourself?? :baffled:

What? Your Dad is not worth it?? :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

If it was only that easy everytime:cheeky1::cheeky1:......I'll be on the search though, he wants it working so he can keep his oil changes where they supposed to be, I told him he has to get out and ride the thing before he worries about having enough miles to change the oil:shock:..

oh, got the letter today when we got in from the son's wedding.............:cool::cool:....Thanks! it looks GREAT!!!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Hi, had this problem on my '86 Aspy. Just checked out the wiring to the odometer and found it to be a bit crusty/dry. Cleaned it all up. Odometer now works. Just a bit of TLC! Easy as that.

Cheers. Les

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.