Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hey guys (and gals,)

On my ride to work this morning I noticed that the odometer on my 85 Aspencade was just about to turn 120,000 miles when it just stopped! As the tenths indicator reached zero, it started to flip from 119,999.9, got about 3 quarters of the wayand then that's all she wrote. Can this be repaired, or do I have to get another gauge unit? I'm not too concerned about whether it displays the bikes actual mileage since I don't plan on ever selling the bike, but in terms of keeping track of miles ridden for the purpose of oil changes and other PM, I'd really like to have it back in service. Any suggestions?

10-Q,

TDS

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TDS, it appears you have a model built for use in Japan. They have a law where they have to junk them at 120,000 miles so the odometer is designed to stop at that mark. Becareful if you go over 125,000 because that will activate the self destruct mechanism that's built in for those who don't obey the law.

Seriously though about the only thing that can be done would be to replace the unit, once they crap out they aren't fixable unless you can find an instrument shop that's willing to give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Yeah, I'd heard about that self-destruct mechanism. Had a pal of mine from the Bomb Squad disarm it for me. Took him a while. He wasn't sure whether to cut the blue wire or the white wire. LOL!!

In truth, it must have been a Road Goblin. On my way to work this morning, I hit a pretty good bump, and then all of a sudden it started working again. Go figure!:baffled:

TDS

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Hi TDS. Sometimes this happens on cars as well. When a pile of number have o be turned together (like form 99,999 to 100,000) the odo can just stick. Happened to me once on a Kawasaki Z1300 and a couple of taps on the speedo housing fixed it. The engine blew up shortly after, leaking oil and knocking. From what I heard since I was lucky to get that srt of miles from it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

03Silver wrote:
Hi TDS. Sometimes this happens on cars as well. When a pile of number have o be turned together (like form 99,999 to 100,000) the odo can just stick. Happened to me once on a Kawasaki Z1300 and a couple of taps on the speedo housing fixed it. The engine blew up shortly after, leaking oil and knocking. From what I heard since I was lucky to get that srt of miles from it anyway.
Happened me with my first car, a Hillman Hunter that my dear old Dad gave me.Odo stuck at 39999 miles. An uncle who was a mechanic drove it down the road and gave the dash a clout with his hand and that fixed it. I drove this car for another 4 years and 35000 miles before a lamp post jumped out in front of me one night and destroyed the car. I swear that lamp post wasn't there before! The funny thing is that the car ended up in the breakers and the speedo and clocks ended up in another Hunter that belonged to a neighbour and as far as I know the speedo/odo worked fine for him while he had the car.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

when you repair it... just make sure you set it back to zero... then after a couple of hundred miles get an ebay address in florida and sell it as a "kept in garage by a little ole lady" low milage wonder

be careful... I think the self destruct causes the rider to explode off the seat

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
when you repair it... just make sure you set it back to zero... then after a couple of hundred miles get an ebay address in florida and sell it as a "kept in garage by a little ole lady" low milage wonder

be careful... I think the self destruct causes the rider to explode off the seat
Yeah and don't forget to say never dropped in the ad!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

This may or may not be of help but when my odometer / tripmeter / speedometer /et al packed it in this spring on my 1984 Aspencade, I had to replace the sending unit which is mountedon the bottomof the left fork. It seems a small pin had broken off and killed all the vitals. Wasn't too expensive to replace through Honda.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

Be prepared to tap often on your odometer. My old 84 stuck the first time on 79999, again on 89999, I thought it would never work after 99999. I am sure that when I sold it at 139999 that it had closer to 200,000 miles on it. I told the new owner that it was between 140,000 and a million miles.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

Yeah and don't forget to say never dropped in the ad!
Hmm...

That's strangely reminiscent of the ad for MY bike. :rollingeyes: Oh well, for what I paid for it, which is to say much less than half Blue Book value, I suppose I should expect a little stretching of the truth.

Tom

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.