Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

To make a long story short my son and I took a trip not too long ago. He on his 05 1800 and me on my 97 1500. We noticed that every time we filled up he had put on more miles that I did.We were traveling together so comon sence would dictate that we would havegone the same miles at every fill up on the trip odometer. I hooked up my GPS just to check and sure enough his 1800 was logging about 6-8 extra miles for every 100 or so. I have called my local dealer as we bought an extended warranty when we bought it, dealer never heard of this problem. Ihave made an appointment but was wondering what to expect from Honda. His spedometer is also off about 5 mph slow. Has anyone heard of this problem and is there a fix or cure?

Thanks

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

His speedometer is bad. It wouldn't be the first one to give problems, I'v heard a couple of similar cases.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

choppas wrote:
His speedometer is bad. It wouldn't be the first one to give problems, I'v heard a couple of similar cases.
It's like 90% of Goldwings. About a 5% high reading on both speedometer and odometer.

A forum search shows 21 threads on the subject.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Ken is right, when my 04 was new I checked the MPH against my GPS and found that when the speedometer read 55 the GPS read 50. This is a 10% error rate. I did some research online which lead me to this site and to the other goldwing site. On both there are a lot of threads indicating the speedometer reads 5 MPH over when doing 55.

When I changed to a car tire the difference went down to 3.2 MPH. According to the Dealer here all 1800's read off by about 5mph when doing 55.

I quit relying on the speedometer and now pay attention to just the GPS which is a lot more accurate. I checked the accuracy or the GPS by going through one of the 5 mile long speedometer check sections on the freeway here at exactly 60 on the GPS....it took me exactly 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

It is normal, not right, but normal

honda seems to lack the Math skills needed. there is a class action for honda car owners because the ones who lease their cars are being charged for extra miles.

you also might want to check the tire size. there is a 60mm tall and a 70mm tire made for the 1800. the 70 is factory size

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.