Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A few months ago I noticed the odor of burning oil, but onlywhile warming up my 1998 SE.

Checked it out and saw a couple drops of oil on the garage floor. Looked more closely and saw a drop of oil hit thetop of what I believe is a (hot) exhaust pipe (directly under the engine).Now I can seeand smell the oilsmoke; but always and ONLY during warm up. The situation isgetting worse instead of better. A dealership changed the oil and filter about 3,500 miles ago.

Is this a sign of a bigger problem? Thank youin advance, Brian

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

Hi wingfriend, which side of the bike is this on? as my first thoughts are the gear shift oil seal maybe weaping, do you keep the bike on the side stand? if it is on the left side,(sitting on the bike) drop the covers off, good news, nice easy job, if it is that.

fingers crossed

welsh winger

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Once you know what side it's leaking from you will just have to get on the floor and look closer. The GS seal is easy to replace and is probably the most likely suspect. Also check the rocker cover seal in case that's the cause.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Is there a chance that the oil filter isn't sealed properly and leaking oil under the engine and onto the exhaust? :?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Good point about the oil filter Alan. Garage mechanics usually put a smear of grease on the filter rubber ring to give a really good seal.
The gear change seal is a piece of cake to replace. Just put a bit of tape on the end splines of the gear shaft to stop the seal getting damage, and a smear of oil on the tape so the new seal slips on easily.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Were can I buy the shif shaft seal for my 84 aspy? Mine is leaking oil from there I can find a place that sells this seal. Is there a part # I need to be looking for?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
Good point about the oil filter Alan. Garage mechanics usually put a smear of grease on the filter rubber ring to give a really good seal.
A real mechanic just sticks his finger in the new oil while he's presoaking the filter and wipes that on the rubber. You guys do wet out the inside of the new filter and fill it as far as you can without running out, just prior to installing it? It sure helps get the oil pressure back up more quickly when first cranking with the kill switch off to reprime the system.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingfriend wrote:
A few months ago I noticed the odor of burning oil, but onlywhile warming up my 1998 SE.

Checked it out and saw a couple drops of oil on the garage floor. Looked more closely and saw a drop of oil hit thetop of what I believe is a (hot) exhaust pipe (directly under the engine).Now I can seeand smell the oilsmoke; but always and ONLY during warm up. The situation isgetting worse instead of better. A dealership changed the oil and filter about 3,500 miles ago.

Is this a sign of a bigger problem? Thank youin advance, Brian
wingfriend, that oil filter is pretty far forward on the engine to drip on any hot exhaust. If it was leaking bad enough to blow back on the hot pipes it would also be a hot engine problem.

I have had oil run down into the R/H exhaust pipe clamp when checking the oil before starting, so make sure it isn't just running off the dip stick while checking the oil. It's also easy to drip oil onto theR/H pipe while filling so make sure that wasn't done whileadding oil & it just hasn't burntoff yet.

Other than that, clean the engine up real good & then look for signs of where it is seeping from.

Can you give us an exact location on where those oil drips are under the bike?

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
imported post

WELSH WINGER asked if the bike sits on the side stand for prolonged periods. Is this a problem or should the bike be up on the center stand for times when it's not used? How long?? Thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

With the bike on the kickstand, there's more chance of oil to run down into the lower side cylinders. Storage on the centerstand prevents this. On the other hand if the bike is parked where it might be bumped, it's more stable on the kickstand. Fora week or more storage I'd prefer the centerstand, it keeps the oil level, ditto the fuel in the carbs and battery. Don't know that it really makes a difference but it appeals to the my sense of symmetry.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Greetings,

One good way that I used as a Honda Tech many, many years ago was to clean the engine with a good degreaser and allow to dry. Then spray on a deoderant that contain talcum powder such as Desenex foot spray. Run the bike for a few miles and then let it set. The oil will leave a trail on the white powder right to the source(s). This trick worked 99% of the time to locate an oil leak.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Mark Gaeth

Decatur, IN

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Spray some on the footpegs too?

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Twisty, you asked about the exact location of the oil drips...

Good news is that theoil dripping/burning odorhas stopped! Thanks to the feedback here Istarted keepingthe bike on its center stand, during overnight parking, rather than the sidestand. The oil drip seems to be solved!thiswebsite rules.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
With the bike on the kickstand, there's more chance of oil to run down into the lower side cylinders. Storage on the centerstand prevents this. On the other hand if the bike is parked where it might be bumped, it's more stable on the kickstand. For a week or more storage I'd prefer the centerstand, it keeps the oil level, ditto the fuel in the carbs and battery. Don't know that it really makes a difference but it appeals to the my sense of symmetry.
when the bike is set on the side stand after operation, the engine is still warm, as it cools that does allow for vacumn in the cylinder to suck oil in. it was worse on early wings and later honda tried to make the oil ring so that any gap would be on the above side asnd therefore less leak. Once saw a 1200 on ebay that the guy had tore down the engine because of the burning oil on the left.... he got fed-up and was selling the bike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.