Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello every one my 1985 ltd has an odor of fresh gaz when the bike is hot: i got no leak or poor fuel economie : just got this annoing smell that we do not like ..

Could it be something in the fuel evap systeme if there is any .....heeeeeeelp.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

What about a faulty fuel cap? The vent might not be working properly and the fumes are being passed out somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

What about a faulty fuel cap? The vent might not be working properly and the fumes are being passed out somewhere else.

Good point Allen.

Thnks Will check i am not sure but i think the tank is pressurised on the LTD models.

MTF Norm........

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

The tanks s are pressurised on all the Wings Norm. But if the cap acts as a vent (otherwise it might collapse) and if the capis faulty the pressure has to go somewhere else. :waving:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Norm, if it's really hot you may be smelling the fuel vaporizing out of the carbs. Does it crank over longer before starting after sitting when hot?

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

1985 LDT is an (electronic fuel injection ) model and it has a press inside fuel tank that builts up. also i noticed and i do not know if it is related but when i start the bike it is normal 1000 rpm few seconds and its up to 1500 rpm it warms up and comes back down to 1000 @ 1100 rpm so far so good but when i get on the road after 5 min it go's back to 1300 rpm and it stay's .

If i ajust the idle back down to 1050 rpm then it will be at 850 rpm next time it's cold .or if i let it sit for 15 min ......

other then that it rides fine ..........

thanks again .........

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Erratic idling on the LTD is often down to leaks in the vacuum hoses. I'd check this out first.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dj norm, the LTD should idle solid as a rock, same rpm cold or hot. You might start out by checking the LEDs on the ECU. If you don't have a Clymer or Honda manual check out this post:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=980&forum_id=1&highlight=ecu+led

I never got a gas smell off my 86 SEI and with the closed fuel injection system you shouldn't be able to detect any gas odor. I can't remember if the LTD has a charcoal canister for the tank vent but if it does sometimes they get contaminated and the gas vapor from the tank isn't absorbed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.