Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All:

Just want to relay an experience I had with my 06-1800 OEM right side foot peg in August of 07 - 18000km at that time. Thiswas a new bike that I purchased in Sept. 06.

Driving 110 km/h on a major highway and had just crossed over a bridge where the bridge was slightly higher that the road. Immediately on the back side of the exit bridge ramp was a bit of a roller (asphalt repair). Not severe but none the less, I was unable to slow downenough in my judgement. Not wanting to bodily withstandan abruptjolt, I raised myself about 6 inches off the seat,my weighton the foot pegs, hanging on to the hand grips. The bike floated over this roller, not in any violent manner whatsoever, but when it came down, my right foot peg broke.Thankfully all that happened was mybutt landed firmly on the seat and I was able to keep my right boot from hitting the pavement. The Wing wobbledvery slightlyandI experienced noproblem at all maintaining controland stopping. My S/O wascoming behindon her Bergman and was having fits at the sight of this performance, with the broken footpeg sailing off into the scenery.Fortunely no injuries to the man nor his beast:)to report. I rode the last 350km of that 4200km trip with the heel of my boot hooked on the hinge portion of the footpeg still bolted to the Wing.

Upon inspection it was obvious that there had been a flaw in the original casting of this footpeg,but getting another replacement peg from Honda on warranty,in a timely manner was another story (not good at all). I have since installed aftermarket pegs (Kruyakyn) which are considerably more sturdy than the OEM foot pegs. I'm much more confident every time I put a little weight on the foot pegs now, as we all tend to do from time to timewhen riding.

Check out yourWings men, as something a simple as this has the potential to create a serious problem. Incidentally I am 6'4" & 235 lbs., that said,these Wings are well capable oftransporting me and more. Hope this info.helps someone. All in all these Wings are the King of touring bikes---wouldn't change mine out for the world.

Take care and play safe

Bob

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,838 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Woweee.........

I do that all the time and never give it a moment's thought........
Yeah me too, and it's taught in the MSF course as standard procedure when running over an obstacle in the road, up off the seat, little bit of gas to lighten the front end, and up and over. I hope this was a one-off problem and not another sign of a MFG issue like the frame weld. :shock:

Glad you made it out of it OK Bob!

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.