Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Time to replace the clutch plates because it is starting to slip in 4th and 5th gear under full throttle. Already rebuilt the master cylinder and slave cylinder. The owner before me use to tow a trailer a lot. So what are your thoughts on OEM or Aftermarket? Thanks

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

I've only had to replace a bike clutch once, Kawasaki Ninja. I used aftermarket plates, Ferodo I think and they worked great.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

After looking up the Honda parts I see that they show 3 different friction plates. I am sure that the aftermarket plates are all the same in their kits. Now I a starting to wonder about the savings in using aftermarket friction plates.

I also started to do some searches on here for clutch replacement. I have seen some people talking about SeaFoam to fix this issue. Has anyone had this same slipping problem and SeaFoam fixed it? Thanks MK

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Racerx wrote:
Time to replace the clutch plates because it is starting to slip in 4th and 5th gear under full throttle. Already rebuilt the master cylinder and slave cylinder. The owner before me use to tow a trailer a lot. So what are your thoughts on OEM or Aftermarket? Thanks
What are you using for oil, brand, weight? How long have you had the bike and do you know the history of the oils used?
That might be where your slippage lies if you are using an energy conserving automotive oil. The seafoam put in the oil for 100 miles might clear it up.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I've only replaced a clutch in a motorcycle once before, in my 1200.
I used a Honda parts.
I did the labor myself, and it was a big job. I suppose if I put it all back together and it didn't work I would have only had myself to curse at and I knew it was going to be a big job, so I wanted to only do it once.
But, I did spent considerable extra money due to my lack of experience.
I didn't know what parts I needed so I went to the parts counter and asked them for the parts needed to replace a clutch.
There are friction plates and steel plates. They gave me both. When the dealer replaces the clutch, they replace both. Of course they have to, they have to stand behind their work and if it doesn't perform well, they have to absorb the cost of redoing it.
But when I took it apart the steel plates looked like the new ones. So if I had it to do over again, I would only replace the friction plates. Those darn steel plates were close to $20 each. That's a lot of money for something that didn't show any signs of wear.
There is a damper plate in there that has tiny little springs in it. A new one wasn't available so I was forced to reuse that. I would have replaced it had it been available, as I have seen people expeirence failure in the springs, but I got a successful second life out of mine. After market kits don't include that either. So there are lots of people that change their clutches without replacing that. If it's in good shape it will save a lot of money by reusing that.
Then there is a main spring. I got one of those too. It seems to me that if that spring is weak, there is more likely to be slippage, so replacing that seems logical. I don't know anyway to evaluate the wear on that.
If there is a next time, I will get my friction plates from the Honda dealer. I will not get the steel plates, unless I take it apart and they show signs of wear. I will not replace the damper plate unless it shows signs of wear. But I will be very critical of this part. I will replace the spring.

Also, if you are using synthetic oil, try changing back to regualar dino oil. It's not quite as slippery and you may find that your slipping stops, at least for a while. That's what happened on mine. I started slipping, and I was told to change oil to regular. It stopped slipping. A couple months later I changed the clutch anyway because I was trying to stay ahead of it, but it was not slipping when I changed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.