Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Promise this thread won't melt down into another tire rat-hole, well we can hope.

I try to ride 52 weeks a year. No big deal you say. You could be right; but I'm in NH and it can be a challenge accomplishing it.

During the summer months I volunteer for a couple of watershed groups and monitor / test water quality. On a weekly basis I'm traveling on wet slippery ATV trails, rocky Rail Road beds, etc.

Looking for a new set of tires that have an aggressive tire patter and will enable me to continue grinding my highway bars around town.

I RARELY go on the highway... I ride backroads and dirt.

thanks.

-

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

A goldwing is designed for touring and trying to make an off road bike out of it is .....well just ....:)

This is a half a ton bike we are talking about and you want nobbly tires and still want to scrape pegs ??

,I think I have seen it all now :D

but welcome to the forum from Ireland :leprechaun::leprechaun::waving:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Too funny... I'm approach 50... I've been riding since I built my 1st single banger in 72 (mini-bike).

I'm not looking for Knobs.

I love the Wing, I take it everywhere it's usually covered in dirt with lots of grass and sticks hanging from underneath.

I'm looking for Touring tires that have an aggressive tire pattern.

Was hoping that those that ride up north on dirt roads (logging country) might have a good choice.

thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
A goldwing is designed for touring and trying to make an off road bike out of it is .....well just ....:)

This is a half a ton bike we are talking about and you want nobbly tires and still want to scrape pegs ??

,I think I have seen it all now :D

but welcome to the forum from Ireland :leprechaun::leprechaun::waving:
There is a photo some where on the GWOCGB site ofa memberriding a 1100 complete with knobby on a track, I have also seen this bike at a wing ding.

I cant find the photo, but I am sure some will have a copy, then wexy you will of seen it all :D

Nick

Welsh Winger

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

From up north closer to the logging roads country, I must say I've never heard of anyone riding a Goldwing on one or even wanting to. I will admit to riding an abandoned railway line used for 4 wheelers "once" after getting send on a wild goose chase against my better judgment. Fortunately the guy who sent me left town shortly after & saved us both more headaches. But what the hey, we still live in free countries,- sort of. :baffled::action::action:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
From up north closer to the logging roads country, I must say I've never heard of anyone riding a Goldwing on one or even wanting to. I will admit to riding an abandoned railway line used for 4 wheelers "once" after getting send on a wild goose chase against my better judgment. Fortunately the guy who sent me left town shortly after & saved us both more headaches. But what the hey, we still live in free countries,- sort of. :baffled::action::action:
I bet ya it was WRONGWAY.. I have seen him giving directions :D:D

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,831 Posts
imported post

D-Rod. What ever that site was never made it past my company's "Web Sense" filters.

You sure that is a Family Rated Site? :D

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

wexy wrote:
96aspencade wrote:
I bet ya it was WRONGWAY.. I have seen him giving directions :D:D
Too bad wexy , if wrongway had been along who now's where we'd bee now. altho when you are on a railway line there are not a lot of turns to screw up :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thought I'd close the thread with what I found... Being a Divorced Dad of 4,I'm basically broke. So, I've basically put 24months of local riding on bald E2's. I never had tread. I found a two new E2's for $75per and damn whatda difference tread makes in the dirt (doh :)

Just in time to as I ended up riding in the snow a few days ago in 15'F temps.

thanks for the patience.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you got some workable tires on your bike. I've ridden in snow and muck but never had the cojones for doing it on a 'Wing. More power to ya!;)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

Here's the Wing w/knobby tires - Dual Sport Gold Wing !!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the 1500 is way too low and too heavy, off road tires wont rly help but may be better than regular tires.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I didn't mind riding my 1100 Standard on dirt and gravel, but I don't like it much with the 1500. The naked 'Wing is a lot more nimble in those conditions.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I can see riding a bike like in the above photo off road a bit. It is smaller and has more ground clearance. These new touring bikes simply were not made to ride off road, clearance is a problem for one thing.

Wanna have some fun? We have some roads in South Carolina that get little traffic and I call them sugar sand roads. They have fine sand from two to six inches deep on them and it is quite the challenge to ride a big touring bike of any kind very far on them. It is a deal where you have to just relax and let the bike wallow along like a big buffalo and do its thing. If you try to control it, it will dump you for sure.

I used to live in Arkansas long ago and some of the roads were red clay. After a two or three day rain they were red mud. That was a challenge too, I came home on military leave one time and was riding an Electroglide. It rained for 900 miles from right out of Jacksonville Florida all the way to the Arkansas line, it was 14 miles up a red clay road to get to the farm, and I do believe I dropped that bike at least 4 times.

The front end would not go where the rear went or something like that, it was a Jim Dandy deal I know that.

Kit

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.