Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A friend has a 1986 Honda magna 700 and wondering what type of oil he can use other than honda oil...is it like a goldwing and can use rotella..if so what weight???

Thank for the help

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

All depends on if it's a wet or dry clutch. If it's a dry clutch he can you anything that floats his bike. If it's wet then no oil with "Anti-Friction" additives.

James

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

He definitely has a wet clutch. I'd use Rotella 15w40.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

He should be able to use the same oil that is put in goldwings since it is a liquid cooled engine, it calls for 10-40 with no friction modifiers(wet clutch) if he's looking to not spend alot of $ on the hondaline brand(or other motorcycle specific brands) he could use the typical 10-40 automobile brands(NOT the energy-conserving) or the15-40 brands that many wingers use and have had good results with. He may want to use a 10-40 since the early magnas had an upper-oiling problem(low pressure) and maybe even a synthetic.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

10w-40 Chevron Dello 400 is what I run in my 82 1100, will work fine for him.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

does delo 400 come in a 10-40?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

knute wrote:
does delo 400 come in a 10-40?
I'll check the jug in the am, it could've been 10w-30 I just put in.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, not much difference in the basics, any oil that works in the 'Wing will be happy in the Magna.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

10W40 is the recommended oil replacement for most Honda's Yamaha's, Suzi's and Kwaks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.