Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For the first time in 6yrs, I did NOT ride the wing today, but rather took my wife's Honda 250 Rebel on a 150-mile jaunt across town. It was interesting, to contrast the experience... You'd think each has two wheels and an engine, so how could a "ride" be so different, eh?

First there's the warm-up... No decent idle for 10 minutes, until the carbs realize that they're connected to a hot engine. --Unlike the wing, which get's a nice blast of hot air passed over the exhaust headers, and into the carb intake, for quick warm-up.

Riding the Rebel at 70 mph is nerve-wracking... a very flexible frame, on narrow tires, tends to follow the grooved freeway like a needle in a record player --Unlike the rock solid wing, which tracks between the lane markings, as accurately as a Nike Missile guidance system.

Then there's the Rebel's light weight suspension, probably designed to hold the typical japanese male, at 160lbs, and maybe a few rice rolls for lunch... But put my fat Azz on it and it goes bouncy bouncy, with the token inputs or yaw and roll added for amusement --Unlike the wing, on which I've carried small refridgerators home with.

Oh and that Rebel's Gremlin Bell sure get's a-clanging, but can't really hear it over the high pitched exhaust whine of My-Little-Pony, getting whipped into shape by a clown with a heavy wrist --In contrast to the wing's Bell, which has only rung on rare occasion, such as when getting "high speed air" over cattle guards in WY, as the trailer connection get's proof-tested in unforesee-able dynamic loading situations.

Radio?... we don't need no sticking radio on the Rebel... it would be as useless as the Gremlin Bell's unhearable tinkle-tinkle warning whispers.

Oh, and what good did that bell do anyhow... It sure did not prevent me from running out of gas on the freeway! --It don't have a fuel gage like the wing, and I forgot I was only carrying a 2 gallon tank, not 5.

And Traffic behaved different too... the Rebel get's you cut off a LOT by cars... guess they are not afraid of running into a flea --Unlike the wing, which has enough chrome to give the impression that you can afford a lawyer.

On the plus side, I have to say that it was fun riding "Primative" for a day... Wind in my Hair, and numb fingers from the vibration tell me that a good time was had. I however don't think I'll take it more than 30 miles next time around.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
imported post

I like your writing style and your story.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

One good point your over looked -When you ran the Rebel out of fuel, it was easier to push to the gas pump than the GoldWing would have been.

Sometimes it is good to experiencethings outside of your norm: it makes you appreciate what you havemuch more.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

you forgot to add your knees around your elbows:ROFL::ROFL:

good story rode wifes 450 rebel from georgia it was over 100 miles

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Good report, Helps the rest of us rember way we ride a WING.:claps:

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
imported post

Wow, I'm amazed that you managed to get it to 70mph. :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I have wanted to do that recently to remind myself of past bikes.

Now I dont need to!! Great report.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

You said 150 miles right on a REBEL and across town you sir are a brave man

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

britman wrote:
You said 150 miles right on a REBEL and across town you sir are a brave man