Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well Fellas, I'm one week away from a lil vacation. All left to do for the bike is an oil change (Amsoil 10w40 MCF synthetic - don't argue guys) I was wanting to get a headlight protector shield, couldn't find one, made one. (I should market these things) Round trip will be around 8,000klm.

If you boys out of Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, or Wyoming see the Teal Green Machine, give us a wave or ride along for a stretch. Any parties going on in Nevada on the 4th of July? How's the weather down there AZ, chances are good we'll see ya bud!

Kyle and What's her Name My Hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Well Fellas, I'm one week away from a lil vacation. All left to do for the bike is an oil change (Amsoil 10w40 MCF synthetic - don't argue guys) I was wanting to get a headlight protector shield, couldn't find one, made one. (I should market these things) Round trip will be around 8,000klm.

If you boys out of Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, or Wyoming see the Teal Green Machine, give us a wave or ride along for a stretch. Any parties going on in Nevada on the 4th of July? How's the weather down there AZ, chances are good we'll see ya bud!

Kyle and What's her Name My Hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
Enjoy your trip! Use any damn oil you want:whip:and ignore the carpers. I'd use whale oil but it's gotten expensive of late. Head light shield is a good deal, I've got a couple pock marks in mine, glad it wasn't on the glass.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Kyle,

Looking forward to your visit!:waving:Temps were between 108F (42C)and 113F (45C) this week. It's 91F (33C) right now at 1130PM. Don't worry though, it will most likely warm up a little by the time you get here! Summer is finally here. You might think you have ridden into :cooldevil:.

Bring your passport (not sure you actually need one) and I'll take you 15 miles to Mexico for an authentic Margarita.:cooldj: If you're tired of riding and want to stretch your legs we could walk over.:walker:It's only 5 milesas the crow flies. Of course the Boarder Patrol might pick us up and we would get wet crossing the Colorado river.:shock:

We got pulled over one afternoon by two BP trucks and a BP helicopter when we were coming home from the river area.We had beentrying outthe paint ball gun we gave our oldest son for his birthday. They thought we were smuggling illegal aliens and/or drugs into the U.S. Made for an interesting end of the day! :doh:

I don't know what highway you are taking into Yuma, but if you come down I95 watch for wild horses and burros between mile markers 60 and 35. I have seen them in that area several times and people in cages are killed every year by hitting one. I parallel I95 (1/4 mile east) for 5 miles from about mile marker 42-47andsee them almost daily. Had to play chicken a couple of times with the burros. If you see wild horses, don't try to get close to them for a Kodak moment. They will charge!

MAKE SURE YOU BRING PLENTY OF WATER! I get thirsty just on the 45 minute trip home from work.

If you need anything, give me a call!

Bob :11grey:

P.S. I hope I'm not causing you second thoughts! Just want you to be prepared.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Ride safe, Kyle.

If you're riding down I-15 through Utah I'd love to meet up for a bit if possible but I know my work schedule is NOT conducive. However, if you find yourself in need while you're here I've got a few tools, a bike lift and a decent place to work on the bike if needed. (Not a LOT of mechanical sense but I know which end of the wrench to hold.) If you do happen to be anywhere north of Provo on Friday, Saturday or Sunday I'd love to meet up with you. Watch the construction through north of Ogden on I-15 and again north of Cedar City.

Not sure if it's kosher to post a phone number but if you IM me I'll give you one you can reach me at in case you need something. Gotta help each other out and there's no worse time to need it than when you're travelling.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

AZ,

We've got a few miles in riding desert, and don't mind the heat, just hate humidity. It was 34c last few days and with humidex it was 43c. Always, always have water near at hand, as I know you can get dehydrated pretty quick. Should I pack a saddle and break a few of those wild horses? Last time in Mexico was a little less than pleasurable, crossed at El Paso into Jaurez, just a bit of an eye opener! I must have missed the touristy area.:doh:

What's her name is doing a dreaded itinerary for Vegas. At least a couple of days with a hotel reservation. I thought we might just drive down the main drag and be done with it! I'd rather be camped under the stars with a fire to cook my hotdog.

Ruaidh,

We'll be bypassing Utah on the way down, but will catch it on the road home. Actualy, southern Utah is one of my favorite places. This will be our third time through there. Me and the camp ground host at Big Bend Campground near Moab are on a first name basis. Made one previous attempt at Salt Lake City but took a wrong road, rode all day and ended up in Colorado. Not quite sure what happened. We were supposed to stay on #6 but came to a fork in the road that dropped us off on #191, then #40 and ended up in Dinosaur Co. We camped pretty much right at the fork and grabbed the wrong highway first thing in the morning.:gunhead:

Kyle New friends are part and parcel of being a victim of opportunity

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Riding in Vegas is interesting... just be careful ofthe tourists looking at the pretty lights, talking on their phones, andforgetting that they're driving a car!

Have a fun trip!

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

I love the area around Moab. There is a beautiful campground on top of Dead Horse Point that I want to stay at the overlooks the river area. If you're coming up that way to get to SLC stay on 6 to Provo, then I-15 north from there. My bride and I want to take a trip and do a loop tour of Brian Head, Zion and teh North Rim of Grand Canyon. 80-90 year ago they took tourists on buses on that loop. And the offer is still open if you find yourself in need of help or directions or just to hear a friendly voice.

Safe ride!

Ruaidh

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Can hardly breath in Vegas right now ! 15 fires in the area 20,000 plus acres on one fire and 10,000 on another!

Should be cleared up in a few days?!:baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ruaidh wrote:
I want to take a trip and do a loop tour of Brian Head, Zion and teh North Rim of Grand Canyon. 80-90 year ago they took tourists on buses on that loop. And the offer is still open if you find yourself in need of help or directions or just to hear a friendly voice.

Safe ride!

Ruaidh
That tunnel is Zion is something, except I got behind someone who was afraid of it, they stopped every time a car came the opposite way and only went about 5mph. That was a lot offun in the dark. We had to make another pass through the thing just to enjoyit.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Exvaid wrote:
That tunnel is Zion is something, except I got behind someone who was afraid of it, they stopped every time a car came the opposite way and only went about 5mph. That was a lot offun in the dark. We had to make another pass through the thing just to enjoyit.
As you can't stop in the tunnel there is a neat shot if you're quick to take a pic through a gapping hole in the side of the tunnel.

1st pic is going in the tunnel the second is from inside the tunnel through the hole

Kyle, I have some pictures almost exactly like yours! LOL

I'll bet a few million people do.

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey Bro, when you go to Vegas take some time to ride out to "Red Rocks" about 15 min from Vegas on "Charleston pkwy" , bring some' Kentucky fried Chicken' and be there either for "Sunrise" or "Sunset", it's a beautiful place, the Rocks turn blood red at Sunset !! They'll charge you $5 to get in ?!:cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

AZWinger wrote:
Kyle wrote:
As you can't stop in the tunnel there is a neat shot if you're quick to take a pic through a gapping hole in the side of the tunnel.

1st pic is going in the tunnel the second is from inside the tunnel through the hole
Kyle, I have some pictures almost exactly like yours! LOL

I'll bet a few million people do.

Bob
I've got one of the other end, on a bike it's too difficult to take a picture through one of the side 'windows'.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Yeah fellas...I'm pretty taken with that southern Utah, and so are a lot of Europeans from a central country in rented motorhomes who are really polite and really good drivers!!!.

!!!!!!NOT!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Windawg wrote:
Hey Bro, when you go to Vegas take some time to ride out to "Red Rocks" about 15 min from Vegas on "Charleston pkwy" , bring some' Kentucky fried Chicken' and be there either for "Sunrise" or "Sunset", it's a beautiful place, the Rocks turn blood red at Sunset !! They'll charge you $5 to get in ?!:cool:
Now that's the stuff I want to hear about and see!!! Way better than watching a rainbow of artificial lights in Vegas.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

My wife and I just returned from our 1st trip on the GW. Wewent to Vegas for a convention. Got bored and decided to ride after 2 days there. We rode over hoover dam and covered about 2000 miles and 6 states. My favorite part was Hwy 666 (now 491) through NM. The picture was taken just south of Shiprock, NM on 666. Have a safe trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Windawg wrote:
Now that's the stuff I want to hear about and see!!! Way better than watching a rainbow of artificial lights in Vegas.

Kyle
What's her name checked out Red Rocks and apparently there is camping in around there. Sounds like a game plan if we arrive in the Vegas area early. (room is booked for the 5th & 6th in Vegas) What else you got out your way worth looking at. Is there an interesting round about way other than Interstate to Yuma? Finished the pretrip on the scoot today, kit is packed, just gotta load the laundry, and sleep twice more in my comfy bed.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

You can drop down through California and cut across "Death Valley", it drops you out on RT 127, go right take it to RT 372 go left to RT 160 go right over the Small mountain and it drops you into the out skirts of Vegas goLT on 159 ( I believe) by the Chevron Station that road takes you to "RED Rocks"!

Besure to hit "Death Valley" by 5am or you'll bake!! At 5am it's a great ride , have a full tank!

Watch out for "Wild Mustangs" and "Donkey's" oh ya and the million "Jack Rabbits" that run out in front of you, especially at night !

Besides "Red Rocks" , there's "Hoover Dam", "The Valley of fire" another great sunrise view, it may be paved now, ask before you go? And "Lake Mead, it's so-so right now, low water level?

5 miles before "Red Rocks" there a "Old West theme park" with rooms, cafe' and lots of animals called "Bonny Springs Ranch" they may be on the internet?

find a computer ,Library, Kinkos Print shop, some coffe shops and let us know how you're doing along the way ! Take bungie cords, zip ties, JB quick Weld, plugs ,water etc!!Ride Safe!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

There are only two direct routs to Yuma from Las Vegas. I95is the only road heading south. You can stay on I95 all the way through California (it turns into CA93 I think at Vidal Junction) until you come to I8. Turn left and Yuma is about 12 miles. Or you can turn left at Vidal Junction and head towards Parker AZ, where it becomes I95 again (still?) and follow it down the Arizona side all the way into Yuma. I have been both ways. They both suck!

If you have the time and want to go the distance I suggest you turn left on 163 towards Laughlin, NV. Check out Laughlin and then get on 40 towards Flagstaff, AZ. At Flagstaff, take 17 south and head to Sedona. The scenery around Sedona is absolutely fantastic! Then keep heading towards Phoenix and on over to Yuma. It's the long way but if have the time, it's worth the trip!

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Yep, "Sedona"Az and "Oak Creek Canyon" area extreemly beautiful !! All depends on your time limits?:baffled:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.