Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

From a harley board (lets not bash harleys, just this one guy...)

---

OK, so I feel like an idiot. A friend helped me change the motor oil in my 2008 Road king a couple of weeks ago. However, instead of the motor oil he drained my transmisison oil...It looked like oil coming out so we figured we were right...When trying to add the motor oil we "removed" it didnt take the amount of oil that it should have...Being in a hurry i figured we had the bike uneven on the lift and the oil was not able to drain properly.. well I drove the bike to work and back a couple times and the only indication that there was a problem was that it would whine in 5th gear... The fact that the bike would not accept the motor oil I tried to put in it really stuck in my mind, so, I finally figured out what we did wrong and replaced the tranny oil that i drained (it was dry).. My question is how do I determine if i have done permanent damage to my tranny?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

reading the original post i have to admit ive done that on my dad's hd

yes i drained the transmission, the way the bike was set up i had to remove one exhaust pipe to pull the trans fluid plug it was that close....

needless to say it took me 3 hrs to change 3qts of engine oil......

me no likey hd's

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

That kind of mistake hurts.

When I saw the subject line of this post, I had to check to make sure it wasn't one of mine!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

O the lessons we learn from mistakes . can be expensive , but permanent

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

once i bought a used midsized ford from the early 80's.
drained the oil and it only seemed to take 1/2 of what it should to fill. yes it had a double sump!!
on my new to me 1500 i looked at the bottom and decided that the alein head plug near the filter was the drain. as the tupperware was marred from someone removing this plug. plulled it and got a small dribble of oil. dam that did not make me feel happy on my new to me bike. got out the manual and found the plug. it looked more like a bolt that was doing something than a plug.
All was good drained out proper amount of oil
Wilf

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

In his defense. when working on motorcycles with buddies, alcohol is usually involved and buzz kills suck

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Did you really do that :shock::shakehead::doh:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Back when I was driving charter buses in NW Washington I was parked with a bunch of buses at the Snoqualmie ski area. One of the younger drivers came over to my bus where a bunch of us drivers were sitting and BS'ing and complained how slow it was to put oil in his engine. Since the 8V92 has a big oil filler hole (and needs it) I couldn't understand his problem. He went on and said thatit had taken fifteen minutes to put four quarts in and the level on the dipstick hadn't come up at all. I went over to see what was wrong and discovered the guy had poured a gallon of motor oil into the transmission dipstick tube. No wonder it took awhile. I suggested he note on the squack sheet to his mechanic that the transmission was shifting funny. Apparently he got his passengers back to their destinations and returned the bus to the yard. At least I saw he was still driving a couple weeks later.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

UBarW wrote:
From a harley board (lets not bash harleys, just this one guy...)

---

OK, so I feel like an idiot. A friend helped me change the motor oil in my 2008 Road king a couple of weeks ago. However, instead of the motor oil he drained my transmisison oil...It looked like oil coming out so we figured we were right...When trying to add the motor oil we "removed" it didnt take the amount of oil that it should have...Being in a hurry i figured we had the bike uneven on the lift and the oil was not able to drain properly.. well I drove the bike to work and back a couple times and the only indication that there was a problem was that it would whine in 5th gear... The fact that the bike would not accept the motor oil I tried to put in it really stuck in my mind, so, I finally figured out what we did wrong and replaced the tranny oil that i drained (it was dry).. My question is how do I determine if i have done permanent damage to my tranny?

That dude needs a new friend.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

We wouldn't learn anything if we didn't make mistakes. I've made more of my share in my time. The learning process continues.:action:

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

They aren't mistakes they are "educational experiences"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.