Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Christmas gifts to myself consisted of a Harley Batwing Faring and a 3 gallon auxillary gas tank. So, for the past two weeks I have been a contented man spending my free time in my Man Cave installing these parts. I had to have a "bung" welded into the bottom of the main tank to allow gas to flow directly into the aux. tank via a large hose. After having the bung welded in I had the tank and faring painted to match the Valkyrie. The inner faring is actually the support structure for the front faring shell so I mounted it and did all the wiring while the parts were being painted. I installed the guages, switches for various electrical devices, speaker grills small lights that indicate neutral, turn signals, high beam etc, relays for the running lights. I also had to make a bracket to move the headlight forward and a little lower to fit into the faring. I finally finished yesterday morning and poured enough gas into the tank to fire it up. The lights, guages, and fuel pump worked perfectly and the fuel system has no leaks. I rode it to a gas station to fill the beast. It was 31 degrees but the faring blocked the wind to the extent that I didn't have to use my Gerbings heated gear. With the tank full, I couldn't resist a nice ride through the countryside testing my handywork. The bike performed flawlessly and a few hours on the bike was really needed, having not ridden in a few weeks. It snowed last night and the roads became slippery on my way home from our monthly American Legion meeting. We are supposed to have temps in the 50s by the weekend, so guess what I will be doing?!:action:

Dubs

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Way to go, Bernie! .... nothing more satisfying than a job well done by yourself! :cooler:

Ah .... any pics to show us your handiwork? :D

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Way to go, Bernie! .... nothing more satisfying than a job well done by yourself! :cooler:

Ah .... any pics to show us your handiwork? :D
Yeah Bernie............We want to see!!! :cheesygrin:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Me too Me too!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

No Pictures = It didn't happen.......

If it didn't happen your going to be cold and out of gas in no time.......

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

OK you nonbelievers, I will try to post pics when I get home!

Dubs

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have to agree how it is very satisfying to do your own work and feeling comfortable enough to ride off to where ever :action:

I'll be doing my maintenance now that winter has set in with all the salty roads :whip:But I enjoy the time spent with the ole gal in the man cave :)

BTW Bernie,,,,,,,,,,, are you familiar with the "Photo Scavenger Hunt" thread????? Since your still able to get out for a ride, shy not join in on the fun :waving:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/122651.html

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

This sounds like fun Winger77!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

:blowingup::blowingup::blowingup:

This thread is worthless without pics...

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Sorry for not posting pics last night. Didn't even get to the computer at all. I will post them tonight for sure!

Dubs

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Here are the pics I promised.

I still have more holes to fill like thw speaker holes, and plugs for the radio hole and the holes on either side of the radio. You can't see the aux. gas tank but it is there and works so good. The bike is dirty and needs a good cleaning and polish.

Dubs

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

OOuuuuuu, AAAHHHHHHHHH.
Gotta see that tank though. Did you buy a tank or build one?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Is that chrome air wings??????

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I bought the belly tank from r & M works Inc. Google Valkyrie Belly Tank and you will find it. It is a shame that it is hidden under the bike because it is a work of art. I had my original main tank painted since ithad to be remove to have a bung welded into the bottom.

Dubs

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

I have thought about this, but then again with the interstate, i have an extra gallon of fuel, and I want to stretch my legs every 130 miles anyway. I really like the concept though, and depending on where a person rides, I can see this being one of the best investments a valk rider could get after a seat!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

How does fuel get from aux tank to engine?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nice, Bernie.

Looks great! I bet those modifications really add to your riding enjoyment!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.