Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The local Victory dealer has a sale on in-stock tires, free labor mounting and balancing. The dont stock the E3's butthey have a Metzeler in stock. I ran Metzelers on my Yamaha with good results. but the 1500 is about 100 pounds more. For 180 installed, I am thinking about doing it. I just need the rear as the PO just put on a new front before selling it to me. I need a new one before the riding season starts. I just figured this would be a good way to ride 10-12K or so before having to order another one. My Yamaha lasted 14K before I sold it, he'll probably get one more season out of it. Just curious if any of you have used Metzeler's on these bikes. Thanks in advance...

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Well I gues I get to start this one. I put a set of Metzlers on my 1500. They handled great and rode smooth. During the trip to Calhoun I started getting a funny wear pattern on the front one. Got it home took it into the dealer and waited. Pulled the tire off the bike a month ago and sent the tire to Metzler. Today I got a new tire. No charge to me. I will say the rear that was installed at the same time looks like new. About 5,000 miles. I think I just got a bad one. I am installing the new one and I am rady to start season with new set. Will see at the end of this summer how I like them. Customer service is a little slow.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
The local Victory dealer has a sale on in-stock tires, free labor mounting and balancing. The dont stock the E3's butthey have a Metzeler in stock. I ran Metzelers on my Yamaha with good results. but the 1500 is about 100 pounds more. For 180 installed, I am thinking about doing it. I just need the rear as the PO just put on a new front before selling it to me. I need a new one before the riding season starts. I just figured this would be a good way to ride 10-12K or so before having to order another one. My Yamaha lasted 14K before I sold it, he'll probably get one more season out of it. Just curious if any of you have used Metzeler's on these bikes. Thanks in advance...

Bill
Back when I had my 93 1500 metzlers were the tire of choice in our area. They did well for me...

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've got one on the front of my 1200. I've had great luck with it though it's time to replace it and it is singing quite a bit.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

When I got my latest bike last winter, it had good tires, but I always replace unknown tires. Did some research &read too much about tread coming off in chunks on Metzlers [from different sources], so I went with E3s.

Otherwise, I would have went with the Avons.

I can't imagine trusting any tire much after10k miles [on a bike]. It's hard to toss good-looking tires, but getting caught in a downpour on some far away Interstate with 50% tread is not good.

It's the tires & brakes that get us home in one piece most of the time.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Installed Metzlers last summer and so far great, no problems. Ride two up and all our gear and seems to handle just fine.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

Well I would never put another set of Metz on my bike. I've ridden on Dunlops and Michies on the 1500 - I have Metz on the 1800 and they can't compare to the the Michies at all. They seem to be a much harder compound and break loose in wet weather. They will be trashed come riding season - to be replaced with ????

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
When I got my latest bike last winter, it had good tires, but I always replace unknown tires. Did some research &read too much about tread coming off in chunks on Metzlers [from different sources], so I went with E3s.

Otherwise, I would have went with the Avons.

I can't imagine trusting any tire much after10k miles [on a bike]. It's hard to toss good-looking tires, but getting caught in a downpour on some far away Interstate with 50% tread is not good.

It's the tires & brakes that get us home in one piece most of the time.

:gunhead:My tire guy has stated that he will not stand behind Metzlers any longer. Seems their M/C tire production has been moved to Brazil and the problems mentioned above started showing up shortly there after. I can't recall if he said it had something to do with a company buy-out or some other corporate non-sense.

F.Y.I.
Regards, Steve

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

miles.from.nowhere wrote:
Well I would never put another set of Metz on my bike. I've ridden on Dunlops and Michies on the 1500 - I have Metz on the 1800 and they can't compare to the the Michies at all. They seem to be a much harder compound and break loose in wet weather. They will be trashed come riding season - to be replaced with ????
I heard many things, good and bad, about Metzler tires on 1800's, but I think this is the first time I've heard anyone that was unhappy with the wet weather performance. Are your Metzlers the ME880's? Are they really old?

I've run Dunlops, Bridgestones, Metzlers and Avon Cobras on my 1800's, I would rate Metzlers performance on wet roads as excellent.

BTW- my first choice for tires on the 1800 is Bridgstones.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

They are 880's with maybe 5,000 on them. This is my first (and last) experience with the Metz.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I always thought the 880's were much better in rain. I've always had good luck with them, but they're too expensive on 1800's. I think Metz's hate low air pressure much more than others. Don't know why. Hence - - separation. I run my rear at 44psi @70 degrees.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.